Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,116 Posts
((((((( Oh, sure........we made those......and so long ago, too + the corn husk dolls!!

TY for sharing!
~~~~~
SEA said:
I remember my mom showing my sister and me how to make these. We used up all her little left over balls of yarn. One year maybe more several hung on the Christmas tree.
My friend, a preschool teacher did these with her class. She had have some parent helpers.

Anyone else ever make these?
http://www.spudandchloe.com/blog/2009/10/old-fashioned-yarn-dolls/

SEA Nancy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,064 Posts
my grandmother always made a doll for each of her grandchildren and then great-grandchildren...she used an entire skein of aunt lydia's rug yarn so that they were washable...then the new boy dolls got pants and a shirt, usually from flannel, and the girl dolls got a little pinafore....i remember looking at mine and trying to figure it out...it appeared that she just took off a yard or two but mostly left the skein in one piece, just tying where appropriate...i still have my boys' dolls...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,116 Posts
(((( Sweet!! Those were the days!! I could just see them 'dressed', when the original thread came in.

Do you remember hanky dolls? I ran into them in the 80's but they're no doubt an older concept. My SIL gave me one for Christmas. It didn't have any yarnie content on it but it wouldn't take much to embellish one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Small-Hanky-Church-Doll-EUC-/330539649488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf5b2c9d0

One of our local banks offered a program called, "Dress A Doll", all genders and ethnic group, one size then return it for donations somewhere.

They were displayed for a week once returned, also and prizes awarded.

I didn't get a doll to dress as I was busy working part-time and in college in the late 60's/early 70's.

Some of those dolls were extravagant, too and probably for display only, eh? LOL!!
~~~~~~
deemail said:
my grandmother always made a doll for each of her grandchildren and then great-grandchildren...she used an entire skein of aunt lydia's rug yarn so that they were washable...then the new boy dolls got pants and a shirt, usually from flannel, and the girl dolls got a little pinafore....i remember looking at mine and trying to figure it out...it appeared that she just took off a yard or two but mostly left the skein in one piece, just tying where appropriate...i still have my boys' dolls...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,064 Posts
i don't remember hanky dolls, but i do remember my mother taking a hanky or a washcloth (when we were in the bath) and rolling it just so to make twins swing in a hammock...this was always accompanied by a chorus of Rock-A-Bye Baby....

how about buttons on a string? my kids always had to have one to play with when i sat down to the sewing machine....and a 4 holed button makes a 'whirring' noise while playing with it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I remember making the yarn dolls in Girl Scouts and the hanky ones were abit different, In the late 70's early 80s I made the yarn ones with my Junior troop and brownie troop I had at the time. fast forward to the late 1990s and 2000's and I did them again with my Juliette girl scout group. each group I did it with loved to make them. and Deemail the button whorls a parent came in and shared with the last G.S. group I had and did the corn stalk dolls also. It went towards a badge the girls were earning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,116 Posts
((((((( Hmmm, I don't think I ran across the washcloth/hanky hammocks. Should we surf for it? LOL!!

Yes, I remember the button on the string....I have a button box, too........maybe three! LOL!!

Yes, you'd wind the button around and around then pull the string. I think!! LOL!
~~~~~~
deemail said:
i don't remember hanky dolls, but i do remember my mother taking a hanky or a washcloth (when we were in the bath) and rolling it just so to make twins swing in a hammock...this was always accompanied by a chorus of Rock-A-Bye Baby....

how about buttons on a string? my kids always had to have one to play with when i sat down to the sewing machine....and a 4 holed button makes a 'whirring' noise while playing with it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,064 Posts
that's right, about 30 inches of crochet cotton or some other strong string...thread thru 2 opposite holes of a button (the bigger, the better), and then tie the string ends together. now put a both forefingers in the loop ends with button in the middle...'wind the button up' by swinging round and round with a little slack in the string....after about 10-15 swings, pull the ends of the loops and just keep going....the little ones need you to start it going on their fingers but then they can usually keep it going...amazing what we did without computers, isn't it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
38,659 Posts
SEA said:
I remember my mom showing my sister and me how to make these. We used up all her little left over balls of yarn. One year maybe more several hung on the Christmas tree.
My friend, a preschool teacher did these with her class. She did have some parent helpers.

Anyone else ever make these?
http://www.spudandchloe.com/blog/2009/10/old-fashioned-yarn-dolls/

SEA Nancy
OMG! I remember making those as a child myself! Thanks for the happy memory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,990 Posts
this takes me back to childhood my Mama taught me to make these she even made some with brown yarn and little vests to look like gingerbread boys,I still have the last ones she made & I hang them on my tree I cherish the ones she made.It makes Christmas better.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom