Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, ladies! Here is a picture of a unique throw I made for my son when he graduated from college. Since he doesn't use it, I find it great for hanging over the top of a rocker. Also just the right size to cover my legs when I sit and knit on the couch. Made with a boucle yarn from JoAnn's, very easy, all knit. The pattern was on the label but you don't need one. Knit the bottom square the size you want. At the beg of next row, CO number of stitches equal to the size of the beg square. CO same number of stitches at the end of the row. Knit one square, next square is stockinette st. Keep doing this until you have your second row of squares. In the photo you can see how it makes a "checkerboard" pattern. Keep adding squares at the beginning and end of rows until you get to the middle, then start decreases. Add on squares are always plain knit. This was really easy. I also made a pillow with the leftover yarn. Enjoy! And Happy Needling!! jb

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That is so different. I bet it's just the right size to cover up with on a cool evening :)

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
Very nice! :thumbup: I made that pattern for myself in the exact same color about 2 years ago! I chose not to match the color changes exactly with the 2 strands held together so as to make the color changes in the stripes more blended/gradual, but I like your distinct stripes, too! I love the "squishy" softness of the boucle yarn. I still have the leftover yarn from that afghan, so maybe I'll take a clue from you and make a pillow to match. :) A friend gave me a few skeins of the same yarn in green and I've been trying to decide what to do with it. Maybe I'll make another one of these throws and give it back to her as a "thank you" for that large bag of assorted yarns she gave me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very clever design! Looks harder than it is. ;-) What size needles do you use and is it alright to use circular needles, to hold all that yarn?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Last winter I used that same pattern to make a throw for my brother's first grand daughter. I used the pink yarn and it looks like a big pink cloud....so soft and fluffy (and warm...she lives in Montana).
For a friend's daughter's baby doll, I made another smaller throw of the same pattern using only one stand of the same pink yarn. Ella is four and loves it...she usually wears it as a shawl her mom tells me.
It's a simple pattern, but fun to knit and it looks great! Love the color you chose.

·
Registered
85 Posts
2 skeins of Rainbow Boucle? That's it? How many skeins would it take if I use Lion Brand Homespun? That's one of my favorites because it is so soft. I haven't knitted in 6 years...I would like to make this.
Does anyone have a good tip for calculating how much yarn you need for a project?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just check the yardage on the boucle and compare it to that in Homespun. They are definitely different as the boucle is large. I just bought some and returned it because I couldn't achieve what I was trying for, but like this pattern. Also this pattern calls for two strands, but with Homespun, you could probably get away with only one strand.

Good Luck

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
jberg said:
Good morning, ladies! Here is a picture of a unique throw I made for my son when he graduated from college. Since he doesn't use it, I find it great for hanging over the top of a rocker. Also just the right size to cover my legs when I sit and knit on the couch. Made with a boucle yarn from JoAnn's, very easy, all knit. The pattern was on the label but you don't need one. Knit the bottom square the size you want. At the beg of next row, CO number of stitches equal to the size of the beg square. CO same number of stitches at the end of the row. Knit one square, next square is stockinette st. Keep doing this until you have your second row of squares. In the photo you can see how it makes a "checkerboard" pattern. Keep adding squares at the beginning and end of rows until you get to the middle, then start decreases. Add on squares are always plain knit. This was really easy. I also made a pillow with the leftover yarn. Enjoy! And Happy Needling!! jb
I've made this blanket any number of times and have done each square in a different pattern. I alternate the patterns so each row presents a pattern within a pattern. Presently I am doing this blanket without the steps. Your work is lovely. :-D

·
Premium Member
12,956 Posts
Warlunar said:
2 skeins of Rainbow Boucle? That's it? How many skeins would it take if I use Lion Brand Homespun? That's one of my favorites because it is so soft. I haven't knitted in 6 years...I would like to make this.
Does anyone have a good tip for calculating how much yarn you need for a project?
Rainbow Boucle has 853 yards per 11 oz skein, and you probably use around 700 yds from each of the 2 skeins to make the afghan to the size of the pattern. (I can't be sure of that estimate because I think I may have made mine a little larger than the pattern called for. I can't remember - it's been a while. I just weighed my leftover yarn and have 2 oz left per skein.) I also compared the yds per oz of the Rainbow Boucle and Lion Brand Homespun and the Homespun is about 2 1/2 times the weight of the Boucle (30.8 yds per oz for Homespun vs. 77.5 yds per oz for Rainbow Boucle), so you could use just one strand of homespun and the resulting afghan would be just a little heavier than the 2 strand Boucle version. You would still need about 700 yds or maybe a little more, so 4 skeins should do it. (Homespun has 185 yds in a 6 oz skein.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's exactly the pattern I've been looking for!!! Awhile back I asked the forum if anyone had the pattern and no one had exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you, thank you! Can't wait to get the yarn and get started.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
lady lulu said:
That's exactly the pattern I've been looking for!!! Awhile back I asked the forum if anyone had the pattern and no one had exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you, thank you! Can't wait to get the yarn and get started.
This blanket comes from Joann.com. Sensations #4, designed by Cindi Schramer. I have a free hard copy of this blanket I picked up at Joann's a few years ago. Do check on-line to see if it is still available.

Happy knitting. :-D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom