Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be a little stir crazy. I cast on socks, the purple in first picture. Love them but they will be short socks due to limited yarn. And it is winter and cold here. Then I saw a skein in my stash ( the clear box sits on a shelf by my exercise bike) and it was bright colors and I just needed to cast it on. So for the first time I have 2 pair of socks on the needles at the same time. ???? I am leaning towards the colorful ones as they will be long and I will wear them as soon as finished.
Also a pic of the yarn in the skein and one of yarn wound up ready to go and the small ball is what I wound off so I could match stripes.

Attachments

·
Registered
56,166 Posts
I'd get the short ones out of the way first. On a snowy, blustery day like today you could just cozy up with your knitting. They shouldn't take too long and then go on to the longer ones. Pretty yarn!

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
There is no such thing as a bad pair or socks, or wrong yarn to use to knit them. If you don't like the end result, and they're not for a gift, you can always wear them around in the house.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Sweet colors for both.

Do you have any left over sock yarn? Enough to work from about the instep to the toe? Maybe you can make the short pair not so short and graft on the odd sock yarn for the part of the foot that will be hidden in your shoes? Your silly little secret?
JoRae said:
I must be a little stir crazy. I cast on socks, the purple in first picture. Love them but they will be short socks due to limited yarn. And it is winter and cold here. Then I saw a skein in my stash ( the clear box sits on a shelf by my exercise bike) and it was bright colors and I just needed to cast it on. So for the first time I have 2 pair of socks on the needles at the same time. ???? I am leaning towards the colorful ones as they will be long and I will wear them as soon as finished.
Also a pic of the yarn in the skein and one of yarn wound up ready to go and the small ball is what I wound off so I could match stripes.

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
riversong200 said:
I'd get the short ones out of the way first. On a snowy, blustery day like today you could just cozy up with your knitting. They shouldn't take too long and then go on to the longer ones. Pretty yarn!
That might be a good idea. Get them done and have the bright ones for later.
We are having rain snow mix here. Slushy but nothing sticking and little wind.
Thanks

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
impatient knitter said:
There is no such thing as a bad pair or socks, or wrong yarn to use to knit them. If you don't like the end result, and they're not for a gift, you can always wear them around in the house.
That is true. I like both of them. I was just undecided which to go for first. A member suggested getting the short purple out of the way. I like that idea.

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MarilynKnits said:
Sweet colors for both.

Do you have any left over sock yarn? Enough to work from about the instep to the toe? Maybe you can make the short pair not so short and graft on the odd sock yarn for the part of the foot that will be hidden in your shoes? Your silly little secret?
I definitely have left overs and that is a great idea. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I was at an outdoor craft fair about six weeks ago and a vendor was selling knit socks by the singles. You made up your own pair as nothing matched. She had used up all her odds and ends of sock yarn. They were fabulous. She had matching pairs also. All of her socks were made on a circular sock machine. I thought it was very clever of her.

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
steph61 said:
I was at an outdoor craft fair about six weeks ago and a vendor was selling knit socks by the singles. You made up your own pair as nothing matched. She had used up all her odds and ends of sock yarn. They were fabulous. She had matching pairs also. All of her socks were made on a circular sock machine. I thought it was very clever of her.
That is clever and fun to choose a set of socks. Those circular sock machines are very interesting. Some Etsy shops sell sock tubes. You just do afterthought heels and toes and sometimes cuffs.

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
MarilynKnits said:
Sweet colors for both.

This sounds like a perfect solution and would get you longer socks, which you might need if winter is coming up.

Meant to add, both pair are going to be pretty!! love the yarns.

·
Registered
17,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kansas g-ma said:
This sounds like a perfect solution and would get you longer socks, which you might need if winter is coming up.

Meant to add, both pair are going to be pretty!! love the yarns.
Thank you. I have some good ideas from our KP friends. Now to decide which way to go.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Perhaps the heel and toe in a different colour to make the purple ones a little longer?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom