Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am going quite mad searching for such a simple thing. (But all the directions I find are for adults or for boleros.) I want to make a shrug for a 10 year old girl (not a bolero). I can't measure her because she lives far away and I have no e-mail communication with her. I am not working from a pattern but inventing my own so I just need some idea of measurements. I mean it's only a simple rectangle (like the picture I have attached, only I am crocheting mine and maybe sewn in a little more under the arms). Can someone give me an idea of how long I need to make the thing - sleeve band to sleeve band (short sleeves) and how wide? And how much to sew from the sleeve band in?

You are all such amazing women, I know some one of you will know this. I marvel daily at all the things you know.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,122 Posts
Kids vary so much in size that I would not hazard a guess. My 12 year old grandson in 6 feet tall and the neighbors 12 year old grandsons are 5 foot 4 inches. Hard to figure out how big to make something with just the age to go by. jinx

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
Get a measuring tape. Start on one arm as far down as you want the sleeve to be, measure up across the shoulders and down the same distance on the other arm. This is the length of the shrug. Feel for the bone at the bottom of the neck/top of the spine. Put the tape there and measure down the back as long as you want the shrug to be. This in the width of your rectangle. When the rectangle is made, drape it over your grand daughter and decide how far you need to stitch for the sleeves. You may want to add a little to your measuremnts for ease and seam allowance for the sleeve. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My great niece is 8 years old and tiny for her size. You could have the same age being much bigger.Her back measures 17", arms 9" and chest 27". You could search for a shrug (some of the ladies shrugs give directions for xsmall)Then you would get an idea of size

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have made several for 10 to 14 year old girls. Use a ladies size small. Shrugs are very forgiving and a great choice for young ladies that are not available for measuring. Love your picture of the beautiful shrug.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I agree with grammamary that a ladies small should work well for a 10 year old. I've taught in elementary schools for 30 years and the 3rd graders vary so greatly in size, just going by the age isn't enough information, but most could easily wear a small or extra small adult sized shrug. By the way, I love the shrug in your picture. Do you have the pattern for that and if so, where could I find it please? Thanks and good luck :) Lynn

·
Registered
40,386 Posts
I just sent my daughter a text to see if she can find a 10 y/o girl to measure. My grandson is 9, so she is around a lot of kids that age, especially with his friends. She will measure someone for me if possible. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/shrugs.php

Lots of shrug patterns here. Also recommend using a small lady size. She will be able to wear it for a long time, even if she has to grow into it.

You might want to send some extra yarn along and Mother could maybe whip stitch the edges together to make longer sleeves so it will fit her better now if it is really too big.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom