Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to make my first crocheted project, and already I am stumped. After chaining and single crocheting the first row, the second row says to sc in 1st sc, but the next part is not clear to me at all. It says to skip next sc, dc and sc in next sc. How in the world do I do that? I can surely use help with this, please.

· Registered
8,264 Posts
jjeltzroth said:
Oh, gosh, I really don't know what you are asking....sorry.....I told you that I am totally new at this.
Do you have a picture of the finished project?
Can you copy and paste the directions?

The pink hook is the sc you skip
The blue hook is the sc you dc.

Or are you asking how to double crochet?
Here's how to double crochet video:
Still shot
http://crochet.about.com/library/bldoublecrochet.htm
Step-by-step still shots
http://crochet.about.com/od/learntocrochet/ss/DoubleCrochet_2.htm

I may be missing your question altogether :)

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My question is can you double crochet and then single crochet in the same stitch? I've not run across that when practicing my stitches. I'm sorry I'm so stupid. I finally figured out that you were probably pointing out the skipped stitch with your needle, etc. At first I didn't know why there were so many needles in your picture. I will see if I can get a picture of the dishcloth. Not sure I can do that, but will try.

· Registered
591 Posts
jjeltzroth said:
My question is can you double crochet and then single crochet in the same stitch? I've not run across that when practicing my stitches. I'm sorry I'm so stupid. I finally figured out that you were probably pointing out the skipped stitch with your needle, etc. At first I didn't know why there were so many needles in your picture. I will see if I can get a picture of the dishcloth. Not sure I can do that, but will try.
Please dont say you are stupid ,you are not at all,you are a learner and are not afraid to ask for help.This is how you learn.Never think you are stupid.There will come a day when you dont even have to think about it. The ladies I have read about on here are so willing to help and I love the site

· Registered
8,264 Posts
jjeltzroth said:
Yes, you can dc and sc, but I'd think they would put in a half treble instead of dc sc in same stitch.

So sorry I ran through the post too quickly to read it completely :-(

Attachments

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I printed out the instructions, so I don't have it on my computer, but this is what I've got......chain 30
1. sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across, ch 2, turn. 29 stitches
2. this is where I got messed up......sc in 1st sc, *sk next sc, dc and sc in next sc, repeat from * across, ch2, turn
There is more, but I can't get past 2. That is my problem.........thanks so much for your help....

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This gal made this pattern on her own, so maybe that is how she wants it done. You can go to heather-thegoodlife.blogspot.com and see her 29 stitches pattern as she calls it. There is a picture of it....very nice

· Registered
8,264 Posts
jjeltzroth said:
This gal made this pattern on her own, so maybe that is how she wants it done. You can go to heather-thegoodlife.blogspot.com and see her 29 stitches pattern as she calls it. There is a picture of it....very nice
You got it! That's exactly what she wants you to do to make the little pukas (holes).

Attachments

· Registered
8,264 Posts
You're welcome. (Looks like a nice dishcloth.)
You have to skip a stitch b/c you're putting the dc&sc in one sc.
If you didn't sk 1 st, then you'd have waaaaaay tooooo many stitches at the end and you're cloth would be wavy instead of flat:shock:

Happy stringing!

· Registered
260 Posts
Yes, you can put a sc and dc in the same stitch. Sc in the first stitch, skip the next one, sc in the next stitch, dc in same stitch that you just put the sc in. That one stitch will have a sc and dc next to each other. Hope that helps!

· Registered
299 Posts
I am impressed that you are attempting the dishcloth with more complex stitches. I just keep moving along on my mop cover and getting confused. We have to keep going. I have always considered myself having an IQ over 10, but now I am becoming a babbling idiot learning the lingo alone. And then try to get my fingers and brain to do it.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, don't give me that much credit. I saw the pattern and thought it sounded simple until I got to the 2nd row. Needed help right off the bat. Oh, well, we just need to plow ahead.....you with your mop cover and I with my dishrag......sounds like we are both into cleaning of some sort..........

· Registered
299 Posts
jjeltzroth said:
Well, don't give me that much credit. I saw the pattern and thought it sounded simple until I got to the 2nd row. Needed help right off the bat. Oh, well, we just need to plow ahead.....you with your mop cover and I with my dishrag......sounds like we are both into cleaning of some sort..........
I probably should just go clean, I have mastered scrubbing.
Let's just say, that I am happy I do not have a goal of selling my crochet items. to buy groceries. At least I won't be sad if these items are lost or stolen...Just keep laughing. Retirement is suddenly a challenge. But fun.

· Registered
7,116 Posts
See my notes in (((((((( ))))))))) below, JJ..........

jjeltzroth said:
I am trying to make my first crocheted project, and already I am stumped.

After chaining and single crocheting the first row, the second row says to sc in 1st sc,

but the next part is not clear to me at all.

It says to skip next sc, (((((((((((( Just skip the SC and enter the next stitch to do your DC with the SC )))))))))

dc and sc in next sc. How in the world do I do that?

(((((((((((( You do these singly. Make the DC in the stitch then put a SC right in the same stitch hole......continue on per dicrections.

You can fill up a crochet stitch hole with many, many stitches, too....until the hole can hold no more! LOL!!

This is rather fun, too and you're gonna love it! )))))))))))

I can surely use help with this, please.
((((((((( I hope I was clear, sweetie and happy new year to you and yours!

Donna Rae

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom