Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere I read something about how to make the picture on a knit dishcloth stand out. I think it had something to do with blocking maybe? Can anyone help? Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I think it is more like doing the basic dishcloth in stockinette, and the picture in reverse stockinette. If you search "dishcloth" here you will get a lot of hits. Most will have patterns associated with them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bsaito said:
I think it is more like doing the basic dishcloth in stockinette, and the picture in reverse stockinette. If you search "dishcloth" here you will get a lot of hits. Most will have patterns associated with them.
Yes, I have already knit some dishcloths but the pattern doesn't show up very well and I saw something that would make it stand out better. I believe people who sell them do this and I thought my gifts would look nicer if the picture (flower, butterfly, etc.) was more noticeable. Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I recently read on a post on here somewhere where someone layed out cloth, damped, pulled into shape, then flattened down the low areas around shapes with the ends of her knitting needle and let air dry.
Tammy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tammyinwv said:
I recently read on a post on here somewhere where someone layed out cloth, damped, pulled into shape, then flattened down the low areas around shapes with the ends of her knitting needle and let air dry.
Tammy
I think it was something like this. I'll try it -seems like it would work. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mombr4 said:
I have never made dish cloths, even though I have many leaflets of pattern.

What if you do the design in a different color then the background.
Would love to do that but have only used a second color to do stripes. I'd love to learn how to do the design in color and maybe I'll take a class in the spring or summer -maybe the wrong side wouldn't look so wrong then. :D Thanks for the suggestion and the motivation.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
mombr4 said:
I have never made dish cloths, even though I have many leaflets of pattern.

What if you do the design in a different color then the background.
The problem with doing intarsia in a dishcloth is that there is a definite right and wrong side then, which would only matter if it is a gift I suppose.
With the stockinette and design in reverse stockinette, the pattern shows up as raised on one side and indented on the other so it is completely reversible.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Hm... I would use, I think, a loom and 2 colors. Than you can make the picture very... pronounced, by using a contrast color on the picture, and have it with 2 right sides, and, as an addition, it will make a "fat-er" fabric, so that the hot ... pans and stuff could not burn the hands ever - much like this: https://picasaweb.google.com/102678386877224314113/MyWork#5596260296797038626 - it's a scarf and had, but... you'd get the idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would you believe there's a guy online who used shadow knitting (two colors knitted alternately) for some wild designs.....on dish cloths!!! Of course, I can't find the websight, or the guy's email.....Good luck....it's out there! ----GmaSam

·
Registered
591 Posts
I loved this blog,her foxy photos are gorgeous.I see now why our vet up York named my tiny fluffy puppy Foxy,He looks just like this on his face except he is black and tan,all silky and shiny .I never expected such a tiny dog to have such big brains.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Well I do know that the design doesn't show up as well if you use the twist or blended color yarn. I think maybe only solid colors, at least for the actual design.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nuttyknitter said:
it really depends on how much time you want to devote to a dishcloth...but for that really special gift try this, she has great patterns too! I always keep a dishcloth in progress in my purse, doing hearts as we speak....the link is to her tutorial for blocking

http://rachelsknittingcorner.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-do-you-block-your-patterns.html
Nuttyknitter - THANKS SO MUCH!!!! That's it! I really thank you for taking the time to respond. You're a gem!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mjs said:
KayDee321 said:
Somewhere I read something about how to make the picture on a knit dishcloth stand out. I think it had something to do with blocking maybe? Can anyone help? Any ideas? Thanks!
What a gorgeous trillium.
Thanks! My brother took this picture up near his cottage in the Ottawa Valley. It brings back lots of childhood memories.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom