Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
Many of us have postal or kitchen scales. We would weight the full skein and then wind half the weight into a separate ball. jinx

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
jinx said:
Many of us have postal or kitchen scales. We would weight the full skein and then wind half the weight into a separate ball. jinx
what she said, i got this and use it all the time, love it.
http://www.amazon.com/Weighmax-Electronic-Kitchen-Scale-2810-2KG/dp/B000P1PJL4/ref=sr_1_23?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1346857730&sr=1-23&keywords=scale
you can set it for grams or ounces, works great for dividing yarn in half, also great for let over yarn, so you know how much you have.

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
When you divide the skein you can make the back longer if you know exactly how much yarn you have to make it. You might have to make it a tad shorter if you feel you are going to run out of yarn. jinx

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Sagarika said:
I have to divide the skein, because, I have to use half for the front and half for the back. I hope I make myself clear!
Are you knitting the front and back at the same time? If not, just knit away.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
courier770 said:
I've been knitting for over 46 years..never had to divide a skein to knit the front and then the back...really!
courier, I am also confused with this question she has asked. Just use the skein and knit the front and then the back. I have never seen a pattern that says divide a skein. I don't understand what she is doing or is it that I am working on hour 14 1/2 of a 16 hr shift and am getting brain dead. If this is the case please forgive me for my ignorance. I don't mean to sound that way at all.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Sagarika said:
The pattern calls for a band of equal width, back and front. This is a v expensive yarn, otherwise I would have bought two. Any suGgestions?
If you don't have a scale, the best suggestion I have would be to knit them both at the same time using yarn from the outside and from the inside of the skein. Of course, if the yarn has any nap at all the two sides would not look the same.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Sagarika said:
I have bought a skein of yarn. I have to divide into two, one half for knitting the front and the other, the back. How do I do this? Only the weight of the yarn is given.
Wrap the skein into a ball. Take the end of the newly finished ball and start to make another ball. When the balls of yarn look to be about equal size, snip it or as the folks here have suggested weigh each ball on a scale before you cut.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone, When I knit two of something (which I do for mittens all of the time). I divide each skein. Great idea about the scale. I have noticed if I just use the other side to come not-from-the-inside---the yarn splits and is being unwind like. If you do not have a scale; then find something like the knobs of a dinning room chair. Wrap the yarn around them loosely in a circle; count the wraps and then wind half into two equal balls. Happy knitting------Or you could capture your family's hand or friends hands and wind the yarn around them. Knitty lou

·
Registered
318 Posts
I do it all the time.You wrap the yarn around something like the back of a chair ,a upside down basket,or what ever you have handy .
Now see how many loops you have .Divide in to two.Make two different balls. They will be even .
I do have a little problem writing .
I hope I was helpful.
Love
E

·
Registered
767 Posts
Same with me. I have been knitting over forty years and have never heard of doing this. I guess there's a first time for every thing. I think if I was concerned that I don't have enough yarn , I would just make it a little shorter to begin with. Of course it will change the over all look of the sweater. It is frustrating I am sure to have this problem and some yarn is very expensive. With my pocket book I shy away from those yarns. Good luck. Let us know how you solve your problem and how the sweater turns out.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom