Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for DK weight to knit socks (light worsted, 8 ply) I've got some 75% wool 25% nylon that I remember being what socks should be knitted from but the wool is very course and I know it'll make me itch. So I've been looking what else is on the market and can't come up with the wool/nylon mix in a Merino or Blue Faced Leicester that don't make me itch, but I have come up with a 6ply sock yarn weight. I've never come across 6 ply before, it doesn't seem to be on any chart I can find. Is it the same as DK or is it the same as Sports 5ply?

Also would 100% merino wool be OK for socks, or would it wear out quickly?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to Wool Stack, 6 ply sock yarn knits as DK, so that's solved my problem. Thanks for all the replies, most helpful :sm24:

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Annie-Selina said:
I'm looking for DK weight to knit socks (light worsted, 8 ply) I've got some 75% wool 25% nylon that I remember being what socks should be knitted from but the wool is very course and I know it'll make me itch. So I've been looking what else is on the market and can't come up with the wool/nylon mix in a Merino or Blue Faced Leicester that don't make me itch, but I have come up with a 6ply sock yarn weight. I've never come across 6 ply before, it doesn't seem to be on any chart I can find. Is it the same as DK or is it the same as Sports 5ply?

Also would 100% merino wool be OK for socks, or would it wear out quickly?
Regia makes a 6 ply sock yarn in a wool/nylon blend.

100% wool should have some nylon worked with it for durability. 100% wool will tend to felt unless it is superwash, it will also tend to wear out lots faster than a wool/nylon blend.

Also... 6 ply sock yarn will tend to make up a "boot sock" since it is so much thicker than "regular" sock yarn which is usually 4 ply.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Have I read somewhere that you could also add a strand of the nylon thread for reinforcement while knitting?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom