Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out EXACTLY what DK yarn is, and I've had explanations from here to the moon that all contradict the previous explanation! One says THICKER yarn, one says, LIGHTER WEIGHT YARN. Can someone PLEASE tell me what that means???

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
DK weight stands for double knit and is thicker than sport weight. It is primarily a European yarn weight, though several American companies are now importing it under their own company name. Worsted weight is the most commonly used yarn. It's used for sweaters, afghans, pillows, and many other items. It works up quickly and is a good weight for new knitters. Bulky, or chunky, weight yarn is used for rugs, coats, and heavy sweaters. It is thick and heavy and works up very quickly on extra-large needles.

DK Weight - The DK stands for double knitting, and this can also be called fine weight, sport weight, and baby weight from time to time, as it can be utilized for baby clothes as well. It's British equivalent is 8-ply. This is a good thin (but not too thin) yarn that can be used for stitch definition in bigger projects, like throws, cardigans, sweaters and scarves, while still being fine enough to work up into smaller projects. Note that while this yarn is a favourite of mine for sweaters, cardigans and the like, it produces a thinner fabric not entirely suitable if you're living in the arctic and need to keep warm to survive. However it makes a beautiful evening, spring or autumn garment.

Source (surfing.......

Donna Rae
Butterfly said:
I am trying to find out EXACTLY what DK yarn is, and I've had explanations from here to the moon that all contradict the previous explanation! One says THICKER yarn, one says, LIGHTER WEIGHT YARN. Can someone PLEASE tell me what that means???

·
Registered
7 Posts
was often refered to as Germantown. If you look in books from that time they often would have patterns with several weight yarn and you followed the section for the weight of yarn you used ie: sport,germantowm and worsted. the sport might be 6-7 stitches on #4 needles germantown 41/2- to 5 1/2 sts on #4 needles and worested 3-4 st on a 4 or 5 needle Lindy

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I love DK weight since I tried it about 5 years ago. It is a number 3 on standard yarn weight charts. So between worsted [4]and sport [2]. It does take a little longer to finish projects , using a 4 to 6 needle or D, E or F hook, but what I love [ me being on the heavy side] is that it isn't so hot, drapes well and for me looks better. For socks - it makes a heavier, quicker to knit sock that is still soft.

·
Registered
68 Posts
courier770 said:
I LOVE DK weight..it is so versatile! You can make nice "dense" socks from it, light weight garments and light "throws" or afghans. It is an "in between" weight yarn. Personally I love the stuff!
Courier770....are yo able to share the patter for this lovely sweater? This is beautiful and would love to knit! If can't post link, can you share where you got the pattern and the name/number?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thank you! I'll be stopping at the local yarn shop and I know they carry these. Often she will sell to me at a lower price as the season moves on. I'm really looking forward to seeing this pattern.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom