Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I belong to a small group that knits for charity. Most of the items we knit goes to babies and young children in need. I often think about knitting mittens, but am not really sure if mothers actually use them.

What are your thoughts, are mittens popular for babies?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I’m not sure about warmth but I seem to remember they used them to stop baby from scratching themselves.
I myself didn’t use them. I used to swaddle the babies. There was no way they were escaping. 🙂

whoops. I didn’t really answer your question.
I knit lots for charity babies and I’ve never knitted mittens.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not sure about warmth but I seem to remember they used them to stop baby from scratching themselves.
Thanks for replying. I also remember mittens were sometimes used for that reason. I never used for any of my five children, as some were thumb suckers.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t know that I have seen or heard of anyone using them. I use to buy gowns that had hand covers you could fold over their little hands to keep them from scratching.
They are nice and a great idea.
Thanks for your reply. At this early stage mittens are not looking very favourable. Hopefully somebody will have a fews words to say to the contrary! 🙏

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
It depends on the individual baby. My first great granddaughter was born in late March. She didn't scratch her face (I showed my granddaughter how to safely use baby nail clippers) and by the time winter came around the little minx was walking and picking up everything so she needed her hands. The following winter she loved mittens IF she had a matching scarf and hat (a fashionista at 18 months).
The twins were born in early May but one was always cold, both hated to be swaddled so she wore the mittens.
Babies born in fall/winter in colder areas might wear them but blankets are usually easier until they are up and about. I make scratch mitts from a single layer of light knit or flannel.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I belong to a small group that knits for charity. Most of the items we knit goes to babies and young children in need. I often think about knitting mittens, but am not really sure if mothers actually use them.

Baby mittens were a good seller at craft fairs I use to go to.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts

My daughter and DIL both had pandemic babies and both wanted mittens. Their kids hated them along with hats.

·
Registered
154 Posts

I am not sure about mothers but in some NICU units in some hospitals they use them. Our knitting group used to knit the booties and hats. One day we toured the unit only to discover no booties are ever used but mittens were. We asked what you did with the booties. They would send them home with the babies.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Thanks for replying. I also remember mittens were sometimes used for that reason. I never used for any of my five children, as some were thumb suckers.
This brought back a good memory of my niece. She was still a baby (about 6 mo) and she sucked her thumb. I was holding her and pacing to help her fall asleep and of course she was sucking her thumb. She looked up at me almost asleep and tried to put her thumb in my mouth. She was either too tired to keep sucking her thumb or she was trying to share.

As for baby mittens... I haven't seen babies wear mitts too often unless it's to prevent them from scratching themselves. And then it's tiny socks over their hands. Growing up in Canada, babies are always bundled up in cold weather so their hands aren't free. I would think it would be like babies and socks. Just about every baby I knew would immediately kick off their socks.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Both of my grand babies were born during chilly weather. The little cotton sock like mittens lasted about a day and were quickly lost. Booties weren't used because they wore the footed pajamas. Hats were well loved as were blankets. I did make small blankets with an opening toward one end for use in the carseat. The opening was for the buckle and were perfect for tucking in securely and still allowing the seat to be properly latched.

·
Super Moderator
82,413 Posts
While waiting to have my first, I knit a ‘matinee set’. When completed, I made matching mittens, just because.
The newborn-sized set was too small for my ten-pounders, and neither had a scratching habit, so the mittens and the set became doll-clothes.
No, I wouldn’t make mittens, UNLESS you can find a NICU that really wants them.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Both of my grand babies were born during chilly weather. The little cotton sock like mittens lasted about a day and were quickly lost. Booties weren't used because they wore the footed pajamas. Hats were well loved as were blankets. I did make small blankets with an opening toward one end for use in the carseat. The opening was for the buckle and were perfect for tucking in securely and still allowing the seat to be properly latched.
BTW, Car seat blankets with holes for straps are being strongly discouraged these days by safety experts.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts

They have patterns, so maybe there is a need for them? Our first son was born in England at the end of August, so he needed mittens to keep his little hands warm. I remember buying white fabric ones from Mothercare at the time, but they were mostly to stop him scratching his face.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think this is why mums put babies in those all in one suits to prevent them kicking of their socks.
I think they may be used these days for mittens as well
This is a couple of photos of my great granddaughter and they seem as they are attached to the jump suit
Nose Smile Cheek Vertebrate Product
Nose Smile Cheek Vertebrate Product

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top Bottom