Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Ohio and for years have gone to the Ohio Renaissance Festival. I am going again this year but last Christmas I got a great buy on tickets to Ohio's other Renaissance Faire. Since I have wanted to go to see that one too I coughed up the $14.00 per person entry fee for DD, DH and myself. The Great Lakes has an advantage in the following: free parking, dogs admitted if you apply in advance with an updated list of their medical records, $5.00 and they are kept on leash, the faire is in a little forest and on little named pathways. Now for the disadvantage: The will call booth where we were to pick up our tickets had about as much organization as if it was run by girl scout brownies. There was 1 couple ahead of us (we had emails with our confirmation number and bar code on them) but it took 20 minutes for that couple and the 3 of us to get our tickets, none of the people who worked there spoke in Old English, the food court had signs up listing all kinds of food (no prices showing anywhere) and 3/4's of the food was not available, they stopped having jousting because they said it was too dangerous. We drove 4 1/2 hours to get there (not their fault), but a trip I don't think I'll make again. By the way the shows were great. The Ohio Renaissance Festival has a parking fee, pets are not allowed and the shops are aligned next to one another with an occasional kiosk across the gravel walkway. In it's favor every one who works there speaks fluent Old English, prices are clearly available on everything, rarely are they out of any food, the map of the area is a slick color fold out as compared to Great Lakes black and white photo copied map, Ohio Renaissance has Jousting and a live Chess Match, a little church for the knighting of little boys and making princesses of little girls and packages for wedding's. Perhaps in the future the Great Lakes will grow, but they have been in business for 16 years now so who knows.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I love the Renaissance Faire in Sterling NY. It has all the things you mention at the Ohio Faire and then some, a mud show, an improve story teller - people in the audience shout out some random thing and he weaves it into a silly story., also the wench auction and dunking of a "thief". great fun

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
doglady said:
I live in Ohio and for years have gone to the Ohio Renaissance Festival. I am going again this year but last Christmas I got a great buy on tickets to Ohio's other Renaissance Faire. Since I have wanted to go to see that one too I coughed up the $14.00 per person entry fee for DD, DH and myself. The Great Lakes has an advantage in the following: free parking, dogs admitted if you apply in advance with an updated list of their medical records, $5.00 and they are kept on leash, the faire is in a little forest and on little named pathways. Now for the disadvantage: The will call booth where we were to pick up our tickets had about as much organization as if it was run by girl scout brownies. There was 1 couple ahead of us (we had emails with our confirmation number and bar code on them) but it took 20 minutes for that couple and the 3 of us to get our tickets, none of the people who worked there spoke in Old English, the food court had signs up listing all kinds of food (no prices showing anywhere) and 3/4's of the food was not available, they stopped having jousting because they said it was too dangerous. We drove 4 1/2 hours to get there (not their fault), but a trip I don't think I'll make again. By the way the shows were great. The Ohio Renaissance Festival has a parking fee, pets are not allowed and the shops are aligned next to one another with an occasional kiosk across the gravel walkway. In it's favor every one who works there speaks fluent Old English, prices are clearly available on everything, rarely are they out of any food, the map of the area is a slick color fold out as compared to Great Lakes black and white photo copied map, Ohio Renaissance has Jousting and a live Chess Match, a little church for the knighting of little boys and making princesses of little girls and packages for wedding's. Perhaps in the future the Great Lakes will grow, but they have been in business for 16 years now so who knows.
I like the idea of them--the Renaissance was an interesting period in history. But some of the costumes are pretty cheesy, and often totally inaccurate.
Jousting IS dangerous, which is why they were eventually stopped in the Renaissance. As you may know, Henry VIII was nearly killed during a joust.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
doglady said:
I live in Ohio and for years have gone to the Ohio Renaissance Festival. I am going again this year but last Christmas I got a great buy on tickets to Ohio's other Renaissance Faire.
If you like Renaissance, try Amtgard and get to play the medieval life weekly. go to www.amtwiki.net/amtwiki/index.php/Kingdom and find a park near you!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
We here in S.E. MA have "King Richards' Faire"..I have never attended but from all accounts of those who have ...a great time was had..They have jousting, magicians, ladies in the Renaissance garb..games and different animals..along with an array of asst. foods..and stalls where one can purchase all kinds of things. It's a bit pricey..but those who go..are generally the ones who go year after year..It's down in Carver MA..Not too far from Edaville Railroad another popular attraction....

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
I've been to the large one in Bonner Springs KS (near Kansas City MO) and always enjoy it but is a lot of walking. Also went to the little one in Wichita one year with teenage GD and it was fun but nothing like the big one at Bonner Springs. I've ridden elephant and camel, great fun.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I love to go to the festival here in the Charlotte area. Went to one in NY but was probably too young to appreciate it. But I absolutely love stepping back in time to a different time and place.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My husband and I had our second date at a Renaissance faire at Mt Hope Winery, Manheim, PA. A wench came up to Paul and asked "if he'd like to share her kooties". Paul whipped of his cap, lowered his bald head to and said, "Oi, but I got me own!" I knew then I had a keeper!

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Great Lakes has had many problems with advertising and income, it has to do with some one on the council not liking the owner and making things very difficult for him. We have a couple that stay in their motorhome on our property and have a booth there. They say they don't make as much as other faires but love to come to our place. Hopefully things will improve. If you are ever up this way again give me a holler!

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
grammacat said:
It has improved. It now has bathrooms (not porta potties) with sinks and running water. Still hard walking up and down hills in the woods.
The one in Sterling.? I used to go with my hubs back in the day. Great fun. I never had to use a Porta potty tho. I still have a fancy headband from the fair.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Went to one near Rochester NY last year, the day after I'd flown out from the UK to stay with my son and Daughter-in -law. It seemed very well organised and good fun. The "Olde English" was funny, and the lady who sold me a bottle of water for £1.50p was totally thrown when I gave her £1.50, I hadn't got round to taking my UK cash out of my purse!

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
We used to go to the one in Triune, TN every year. My late daughter had a Renaissance wedding so we all had beautiful, period correct outfits that I had made. We were treated properly, with all using correct speech. There is an actual working castle on the grounds, the owner of the property built it himself and his family lives in it. Four years ago we decided to never return as the kiosks had diminished each year and the shows were word for word identical every year.
We also went to one in Atlanta GA a few years ago and enjoyed it.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
If the people spoke true old English, you would not be able to understand anyone. Had a college professor who taught old English, and it sounds like a foreign language. And did you know that back in the day, French was the spoken lauguage in the palace - something to do with England's relationship/family ties with the Normans. There is a lot of interesting reading on the history of England. Or at least it's interesting to me. But do love the theatrics of the Renaissance festival every year. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom