Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I've watched 31 episodes, Louisa has the baby, then what? I also saw that Martin did a movie but I have not seen it.
. I supposed I will have to wait and see if there is any more episodes available since the show is not shown in the US. Also I'm waiting for Downton Abbey and The Killing to return in late December early January.
Thank you for responding so quickly.

·
Registered
17,006 Posts
Yes, she has the baby but there's more that happens and I don't want to spoil it for you. Netflix has the last two discs for 2011. The Doc Martin movies are good, they were made before the series. The series is a spin off of the movie.
I'm excited about Downton Abbey too, I didn't know The Killing was coming back....yippeeeeee

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Martin Clunes was in an earlier movie where he also plays a doctor, but it's a small part for him. It's called "Saving Grace." I wasn't sure hubby would like it, but it was very funny and touching - on Netflix. The actress who plays Grace was in a detective series about 10 years after the movie was made. It's called "Vera" and she's very good in it - also on Netflix.

If you like Caroline Catz - Louisa in Doc Martin, she was also in a detective series, called "Murder in Suburbia."

·
Registered
17,006 Posts
flower_power said:
Martin Clunes was in an earlier movie where he also plays a doctor, but it's a small part for him. It's called "Saving Grace." I wasn't sure hubby would like it, but it was very funny and touching - on Netflix. The actress who plays Grace was in a detective series about 10 years after the movie was made. It's called "Vera" and she's very good in it - also on Netflix.

If you like Caroline Catz - Louisa in Doc Martin, she was also in a detective series, called "Murder in Suburbia."
Hey, thanks for that info. I am going to look up Murder in Suburbia on Netflix.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
laurelarts said:
flower_power said:

Hey, thanks for that info. I am going to look up Murder in Suburbia on Netflix.
The lady who plays the detective in 'VERA' is Brenda Blethyn Its an excellent series if you have a chance its worth seeing

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am also a follower of Doc Martin. But I haven't been able to catch any but one, of the 5th series. I loved the series so much I even bought the DVD's to have in the house to watch again. Even hubby enjoys them and he doesn't care for anything British, mostly because of the British accent. I just sent for the prequel on Netflix, movie called Doc Martin but understand they totally reworked his personality for the series.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Peoline said:
. I supposed I will have to wait and see if there is any more episodes available since the show is not shown in the US. .
Yes, it was shown in the USA. I don't have cable or satellite TV, and saw a few episodes and fell in love with the series. Was looking forward to watching the rest of "Doc Martin". What a bummer that it's finished. Can't wait to see the reruns here in the States.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I have one more disc left to watch on season 5 and as far as I know that is all. At least that's all Netflex has. I hope there will be more. I also like New Tricks about a group of retired policemen who investigate cold cases. They are all fairly old so maybe that's why I like it!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
beejay said:
I have one more disc left to watch on season 5 and as far as I know that is all. At least that's all Netflex has. I hope there will be more. I also like New Tricks about a group of retired policemen who investigate cold cases. They are all fairly old so maybe that's why I like it!
Tried to watch it, but turned it on in the middle of a program, so not understanding it, I didn't watch enough to care for it, . Thanks for letting me know the plot. It sounds like something I'd really enjoy, so am going to watch it and know I'm going to love it. I'm grateful for your posting - I would have missed a really good show!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
There's a website that i visit that posts links to tv shows and it's always up to date. The last show they have is Season 5, Episode 8 - Ever After and it was aired on 10/31/11.

It's on my list of shows to watch. I LOVE British shows and usually always prefer the British version to what the US does it them once Hollywood gets through with 'em.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
You can find information about any TV show or movie on the Internet Movie Database - http://www.imdb.com/

It shows all episodes and summaries, as well as the cast of each one. You can also look up just about any actor. There's more info on American actors.

As for British TV shows, I've just gotten hooked on "Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis." He used to be the sargeant on Inspector Morse, but now Lewis is a detective with a sidekick. The setting is still Oxford, and the stories have lots of twists and turns.

"Blue Murder" is another good detective series, with a female Detective Inspector played by Caroline Quentin. It's set in Manchester. She's a single mother with 4 kids, so there's some family drama mixed in with the murder cases.

Midsomer Murders is still my favorite British detective show, but Inspector Lynley is also good, as is Inspector Frost.

Can you tell I like mysteries?

I've also just finished watchng 2 series on the Royal family. "The Queen" was 5 episodes covering Queen Elizabeth II and all the scandals since she became queen. She was played by a different actress in each episode.

The other one was "Edward the King." The actress, Annette Crosbie, who played his mother Queen Victoria was excellent, as was the actor, Timothy West, who played the adult Edward.

I think a lot of British TV is better than American TV, and it's refreshing to see actors who look like real people, rather than plastic-enhanced Barbie dolls.

My husband sometimes has a problem understanding some of the British accents, so when we watch a British movie or show, we play the audio through the stereo system. The sound is much clearer that way.

Thank goodness for Netflix!

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I became a fan this year and saw up to the baby. Fortunately, the first episodes are making it around again. I have cable, (ugh, lots of dumb stuff) tons of stations, but not much info on the PBS, which is where Masterpiece, Downton, Doc Martin, As Time Goes By, and a few others play. I watched all the Inspector Lewis, DVD's from the library, and just found about 70 episodes of Midsomer Murders. Great find. Anyone who hasn't watched it, do so, great stories, not a lot of violence, few explosions, no car chases so far. I don't know the Killing. I found Homeland, USA production, which is very good. See if it runs where you are.
karen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aunt Kitty, I'm with you. The Brits have it all over us for knowing how to tell a story. I can go all the way back to the 1960's when the BPS aired "Elizabeth R" starring Glenda Jackson. I was only in high school, but I remember the entire family gathering around the TV on Sunday night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are so right about Netflix -- I couldn't survive without it. There is nothing on television in the US -- the sitcoms are an insult to one's intelligence, and I could never get into all those CSI's either. I enjoy "Castle" because they have infused a bit of humor. Good Bless the Brits for knowing how to entertain us.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom