Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken up sock and lace knitting, in part because I love thin yarn and the "cloth" it makes. I have long cable needles that are sizes 0, 1, 2, and 3. Working last night, I realized that I had slightly bent the needles while using them. They now have a slight curve. I think maybe I've customized them to my hands but its probably from gripping the needles too tightly when doing a difficult or tight stitch. I'm not sure its a bad thing, but I wonder how many others have bent their tiny needles.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
I went through a phase where I used size 2 straight needles for everything, I liked the dense fabric that it made. They are definitely bent and come to think of it, I haven't used them in years!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Joan L said:
I've taken up sock and lace knitting, in part because I love thin yarn and the "cloth" it makes. I have long cable needles that are sizes 0, 1, 2, and 3. Working last night, I realized that I had slightly bent the needles while using them. They now have a slight curve. I think maybe I've customized them to my hands but its probably from gripping the needles too tightly when doing a difficult or tight stitch. I'm not sure its a bad thing, but I wonder how many others have bent their tiny needles.
Yes, I noticed that I either bent my small metal needles when making socks or actually broke the wooden ones. So I changed to Knitter's Pride Karbonz needles. They are made out of carbon fiber with metal tips. The carbon fiber is what they make lots of things out of like airplanes that need to be very light and exceedingly strong. I love my Karbonz circular needles for socks.

Denise G

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
I bend mine a well, especially the #1, #2, #3, etc. Yes, I think they're "conforming" to my hands. The only "problem" I encountered was with my bamboo DPNs. I tried to "unbend" one. Need I say how THAT turned out?????

·
Registered
881 Posts
After numerous pairs of socks on my bamboo db pnts, I do notice they bend. I have been told if I would use another type it wouldn't happen, but I love the feel. I have Harmony needles that I also love, but they are shorter than my bamboo and my sock patterns require more stitches and so the end stitches fall off.
If I have to replace the bamboo ones ever couple years, it's a price I am willing to pay. Luckily they come in packages of 5 so if one finally breaks I have buy time until I can get to a place not near here.

·
Registered
692 Posts
books said:
I went through a phase where I used size 2 straight needles for everything, I liked the dense fabric that it made. They are definitely bent and come to think of it, I haven't used them in years!
I use sz 2 for just about everything lately, but I don't think they are bent at all. I have a hard enough time opening jars because my hands have aged much quicker than the rest of my body! I just don't have a tight grip on my needles. But, I can see that if they are tiny and metal, a tight grip paired with the heat of your hands could bend 'em--but maybe they are more comfortable that way--a customized fit!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I only bend needles when knitting socks and I think it is because I pull the first few stitches on the circular needles really tight. I don't have this problem with other things I knit.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't bend my sock needles, I use Harmonies which are laminated wood and Karbonz, however I was speaking with some of the others in my sock knitting group, and we have all found that bamboo needles do bend although the carbonised bamboo don't. My Harmonies and the Karbonz have not bent. It worries some knitters and others are fine with bent needles, a personal choice I think.

·
Registered
11,012 Posts
I have a pair of size 6 and my husband pointed out last night that one is bent. I have to go and check them all out now. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
25 Posts
All my size 0 dpn's are bent. I also break one now and again so I have several sets with just 4. I think they put in 5 to a set, not to use 4 with stitches on but so you can break one and still have one!lol

·
Registered
769 Posts
My bamboo DPN's that I use for socks have developed a slight curve but it doesn't affect the knitting so not worried :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
My bamboo and plastic needles warp with use- my 7s have become parenthesis. When I start warping my metal ones, I'm going to have to start watching my he-man strength!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom