Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
13,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think that if you lend your 19 year old granddaughter one of our 2 cars (since DH can't drive anymore) to take back to college with her, that the least she could do is drive by and say 'good-bye' and 'thank you' ???? She lives 2 towns away and it would be a slight detour to stop - or she could have stopped the day before or the day before that - too busy packing! But found time to get a manicure, go out to supper, etc., etc., etc. etc.. Just venting! :sm16: :sm19:

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
I think expecting a thanks and goodby is more than reasonable for your kindness. But, that is just me and not everyone. My first thought was....just a thought, mind you....are you paying the insurance and is she driving under your policy? If so, that is a huge risk for you and I would suggest you get the car back before something happens that you pay for dearly.

I agree with Galaxy Knitter.

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
Is she on Facebook? I'd post, "What about a Thank You for the use of my car?" so all her friends could see it. The problem probably is that 19 year olds seem to feel they are entitled. And, yes if it's your insurance it puts you in an uncomfortable position. Even a responsible 19 year old isn't necessarily the best driver.
This was a BIG leap of faith for you! I hope it turns out well.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
1. Check your insurance.
2. Tell her you expect the insurance premiun every month
3. AND.... whatever payment amount you think is fair.

19 and 20+++++ ,etc... get wrapped up in their own little worlds and need a reality check.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
If my daughter had done that to my Mom, she would have been called to task on it. My Mom was never one to hold back. I think you should call her and tell how hurt you are and that you expect to take the car back on her next trip home. And stick to it. She does not deserve it, and you are teaching her a valuable lesson for her life. No on is entitled and when you get a gift you are grateful and thankful.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I agree with everybody else. Insurance worries are number 1, and a big "Thank you" should be right behind it. That would have been the first words out of my 18 year old gd's mouth if we had made such a gesture.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
One son wanted one of our cars when father stopped driving. We gave it to him. He wanted to buy it for $1 instead.
All the DIL complained about was it wasn't good enough or worth $1. This happened twice with same son. The 1st was after driving it for 4 years and the other was after 1 year. The book value was quite a bit when they took them over. My husband even suggested trading it in for what they wanted.
Some persons are just un-grateful, sorry to say. Some are all about "SELF" and never will be grateful or use good manners ("what are manners?) Sorry about your situation, You were not out of line to expect a Thank-You and a Wave as she left.

·
Registered
11,872 Posts
Galaxy Knitter said:
Get on the phone and get your car back.
I agree! Your kids/her parents should drive up to the school and bring that car home. Who is paying for the insurance on it too? She is ungrateful and not brought up properly. Once the car returns to you, sell it and you two take a vacation with the $$!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You are risking way too much, I would go get the car, if there were to be a wreck and others I the car especially if any alcohol happened to be involved, you and DH could be charged as well as GD not to mention you could lose your home if there were lawsuits over a wreck. Just too risky. Go get the car asap.

·
Registered
17,788 Posts
I put my DD on my insurance. She used my car for school. Then quit to go to work. Meanwhile a new boy out driving ran a stop sign and totaled my car. I used my very old truck thru the winter. I told her to keep the car til spring. One day she came over and tossed the keys to me in the kitchen. No thank you. When I called my insurance to have her taken off my policy they refused to do it unless *she* called them. I think they wanted to get her business on a new policy. Millenials!! Wait until they have kids and get their own grief.

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
They seem to think its there right to receive presents and money,My 20 years old GD Bethan away at Uni,did sent a thank you card for her birthday money in January, But the 17 teen year old left it to her Mum to Email me for her birthday cheque,They are my Sons children,My DIL parent com first,

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom