Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly sorting not only all of my yarn, knitting books and the many other items from all of my crafting days.

I was sorting a box and found several rolls that say Pure Silk Wig Galloon
3 spools say pure silk wig galloon on the back one says panda ribbon, another made in England, one just a color number and then there are several that are different colors wound on a what I will call a small bolt but no info.

I know that there are many on KP who also sew, and appears that they are all made in England so I am hoping that someone might be able to help me in figuring what this is used for.

Thanks in advance for your help. I can post a picture if needed. I will have my son take one when he comes by shortly.

Attachments

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fergablu2 said:
A definition:

What is "Galloon Lace" - Definition & Explanation
Lace fabric with a finished scalloped edge on both sides. See also Banded laces.
This isn't a lace, I did many searches but found nothing. I have many laces, trims and many other different items from the crafts I have done through the years (cross stitch, plastic canvas, quilt and so many others). most of the boxes are sorted by items but these were in a box with unrelated items. So much to sort and clean out.

I thought with so many people who also do other crafts on the forum I would ask. My son just came over so I had him take a picture for me which I will attach.

I do appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MotherHensRoost said:
Looks like plain old "bias tape" to me. Otherwise I haven't a clue.
Thanks for your reply, I thought that might be what it is but was not sure since it says pure silk and didn't know bias tape is made of silk.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I have some of that in various widths and lots of colors. I used it for ribbon embroidery. I've been thinking of using it for some small knitting/crochet accessories, ie; flowers for hats.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deeknits said:
I have some of that in various widths and lots of colors. I used it for ribbon embroidery. I've been thinking of using it for some small knitting/crochet accessories, ie; flowers for hats.
Thanks for your reply, maybe that is why it was in a box with floss and other yarns and not in one of the boxes with sewing thread and other notions.

If used for knit or crochet flowers maybe I will be able to post it.

any suggestion on what to do a search under, tried many but no luck.

I do appreciate you information. Just to many boxes that need to be sorted and sold to clean out.

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fergablu2 said:
fergablu2 said:
A definition:

What is "Galloon Lace" - Definition & Explanation
Lace fabric with a finished scalloped edge on both sides. See also Banded laces.
There was no picture when I googled "galloon". It was the closest answer.

Planning on making wigs?
http://www.hisandher.com/Hairpiece_Wig_Making_Supplies-list.aspx
I would guess that it's a wig making supply.
That was what I found which is why I asked since I knew it had to do with either using it for knit and crochet small items or sewing since most of the stuff I am sorting is from those crafts. I though someone on the forum might know since many do other crafts. I just need to get some of this stuff sorted so I can sell it and clean out from my many years of doing many crafts

I do appreciate you reply.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Think Ferga is on the way: the word 'galloon' is the direct translation for french 'galon' -- a thick ribbon that is used to edge clothing or upholstered furniture, or braided; also synonym for military rank as these can be sewn on uniforms or braided, close to what we refer and recognize as 'stripes' on a uniform.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
mombr4 said:
Deeknits said:
Thanks for your reply, maybe that is why it was in a box with floss and other yarns and not in one of the boxes with sewing thread and other notions.

I do appreciate you information. Just to many boxes that need to be sorted and sold to clean out.
I found this You Tube tutorial for crochet flowers. I like the video tutorials, I'm a visual learner!

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Deeknits said:
mombr4 said:
Deeknits said:

I found this You Tube tutorial for crochet flowers. I like the video tutorials, I'm a visual learner!

Thanks for sending the link, I will take a look at it. If this can be used for knit or crochet items then I will be able to post it here on the forum. I have so much stuff I need to sell and clean out, but many things I can't post here since they aren't knit or crochet related, even though many on the forum do other crafts.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
mombr4 said:
Thanks for sending the link, I will take a look at it. If this can be used for knit or crochet items then I will be able to post it here on the forum. I have so much stuff I need to sell and clean out, but many things I can't post here since they aren't knit or crochet related, even though many on the forum do other crafts.

I know what you mean. My sewing room is 20ft x 20ft and it's full to the rafters! Granted, DH built it for me 20 years ago and it's never had a serious downsizing so it's due! As a quilter, I have hundred of yards of fabric that I'm never going to use. My tastes have changes over the years and I just don't like most of it. My main goal this next year is to empty every single thing out of this room and only bring back what I absolutely will use. What I'm dreading is all this fabric is dusty and stale so it all needed to be washed first. That's been my biggest holdup to downsizing.

So yeah...I completely understand!

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Deeknits said:
mombr4 said:

I know what you mean. My sewing room is 20ft x 20ft and it's full to the rafters! Granted, DH built it for me 20 years ago and it's never had a serious downsizing so it's due! As a quilter, I have hundred of yards of fabric that I'm never going to use. My tastes have changes over the years and I just don't like most of it. My main goal this next year is to empty every single thing out of this room and only bring back what I absolutely will use. What I'm dreading is all this fabric is dusty and stale so it all needed to be washed first. That's been my biggest holdup to downsizing.

So yeah...I completely understand!
I'm sure you will achieve your goal once you put your mind to it. I don't have much fabric left, sold some of it and gave a lot away. I still have a lot of trims some older, lots of lace, lots of notions, my plastic canvas, some sewing kits and book, lots of cross stitch and of course all of my and what were my moms many boxes of yarn and many shelves of booklets which I am slowly sorting through.
I guess you can say I have done many crafts through my days but with not being able to do them any more so it is time to sell and clean out most of this stuff.
Once you put your mind to it you will down size, it can be trying at times. I know it is hard for me to part with some of it, so that stuff I put aside for now.
Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
mombr4 said:
I am slowly sorting not only all of my yarn, knitting books and the many other items from all of my crafting days.

I was sorting a box and found several rolls that say Pure Silk Wig Galloon
3 spools say pure silk wig galloon on the back one says panda ribbon, another made in England...
What interesting wording: "Wig Galloon" - conjures up all sorts of things. Found the link below whilst exploring.

The pictures show ribbon and lace applied to the head model in making a wig.
http://www.makeup-fx.com/perukmakeri1eng.html

A very different topic - thank you for the challenge.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you google the question 'what is Silk Wig Galloon" there is a detailed explanation of the materials and construction of wigs.
I tried to do a cut and paste of the section talking about galloon but the site seems to have a 'block' on cutting and pasting text.

http://www.swicofil.com/wig.html
go to the section which talks about 'making the foundation'
quote "fine strong silk ribbon that matches the colour of the foundation netting ...."
there is a good description and photos of silk wig galloon.
Cheers
Ainslie.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Short explanation: wig galloon is the edging for wigs that is matched to skin tone for the wearer. If the wig hair should shift and show edges of the base fabric, it would be less noticeable if close to shin tone. Now, most wigs are made so that the base does not show at all.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Looks to me like the ribbon for silk ribbon embroidery which is a way to embroider lovely flowers. I have the books and the ribbon, but so far this is one of my many projects to look forward to...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom