Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at school during the 60's and 70's and still remember fondly, the little bottles of milk we were given at break-time. Unfortunately, it desisted in England, during the 1970's, but I still remember it - and the packets of biscuits we could buy to go with it. Those who did not drink milk were given little bottles of orange juice.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I have a dim memory of school milk in elementary school. Small glass bottles, with colored foil caps. There was some project (forget what it was for) where the foil caps were saved, and we were encouraged to bring caps from home as well. We had a competition between the grades to see which grade would have the most caps in a given time period. I remember the rustling and tinkling sounds they made, boxes and boxes of them, silver, blue, and red. Very pretty, and shiny.
I never got to bring any from home because we had our own cow.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I remember having the milk in those little glass bottles when I was at Primary school. We used to have it in the morning before we went out at play time (Recess). On our annual Sports Day, the bottles were washed out and used for lemonade for the children who were in the races.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I started school in the forties and well remember the school milk bottles which I think were a third of a pint. The class monitor punched holes in the foil lids for the straws. The milk did get warm in the summer standing around but in the winter when it was freezing outside the foil lids were pushed up to reveal frozen cream on the top. The bottles were then brought inside to stand next to the boiler in the classroom to thaw out.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ours came in cartons. It cost two cents for white milk and three cents for chocolate! Back then, I didn't like chocolate milk--Imagine that, the big chocolate lover that I am!!And I was always excited when my mom would let us buy "crooked peanuts"(cashews) at the corner store 1/2 block away!

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nitchik said:
I have a dim memory of school milk in elementary school. Small glass bottles, with colored foil caps. There was some project (forget what it was for) where the foil caps were saved, and we were encouraged to bring caps from home as well. We had a competition between the grades to see which grade would have the most caps in a given time period. I remember the rustling and tinkling sounds they made, boxes and boxes of them, silver, blue, and red. Very pretty, and shiny.
I never got to bring any from home because we had our own cow.
We used to collect the milk bottle tops to send to the Blind. I think it went towards funding for dogs for the blind. Maybe yours was something similar.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dickies sister said:
Ours came in cartons. It cost two cents for white milk and three cents for chocolate! Back then, I didn't like chocolate milk--Imagine that, the big chocolate lover that I am!!And I was always excited when my mom would let us buy "crooked peanuts"(cashews) at the corner store 1/2 block away!
We were lucky enough to be given the milk for free.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
In Canada they ever gave out free anything to anyone and I went to school from 1957 through HS. However, I remember the milkman and he delivered milk in those bottles by quart or pint (regular and chocolate) to your home. I lived in a duplex row house and some houses were triplex with three stories--that means tenets on 2nd and 3rd floor. So the milkman would climb all those steps delivering milk. He must have been in great shape. You would put your clean bottles outside with a note on what you wanted and correct change in the bottle. We drank the cream off the top and fill it with water and my mom would complain how watery the milk was. LOL. Oh, lovely memories.

·
Banned
16,047 Posts
Kerry Anne said:
I was at school during the 60's and 70's and still remember fondly, the little bottles of milk we were given at break-time. Unfortunately, it desisted in England, during the 1970's, but I still remember it - and the packets of biscuits we could buy to go with it. Those who did not drink milk were given little bottles of orange juice.
Sadly, I remember them too!! I went to school in the UK from 1952 to 1964!

I wish that I was too young to have remembered them!!

If I remember correctly, they were 1/3rd of a pint!

One of my primary school teachers (female) had a huge clasp knife with a spike and she made holes with the spike for the straw in the foil cap!!

No wonder my bones are so heavy!!! :sm04: :sm04: :sm04: :sm04:

Thanks for the memory.....

regards

Andy

·
Registered
266 Posts
I remember sometimes being picked to go to the janitor's room where the big furnace was to pick up the cartons of milk. Always with another student because we would carry them back in a steel crate. For some reason, I always loved these memories!

1 - 20 of 188 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom