Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom is visiting me, she is a knitter too, we sat and knit most of the day. The only problems I have with her is that she likes to sort my needles and hooks and when she found that I have several of the same size needles, she wants me to give to my sister who does not knit often. I feel that some times to have more of the same size needles allow me to do different projects at the same time. Well, I don't know if you encounter this kind of problem. Please share your story.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My Mom wouldn't have a clue what to do with needles. You are lucky your Mom shares the same interest. I bet she taught you : )

·
Registered
569 Posts
Dear Judy,
I sympathize and understand. However, if I were you, I would explain to your mom that you are a collector. And if your sister wants to learn to knit, you or your mom can teach her. Next time before she comes to visit, put them up where she will not find them. I am afraid I have several needles that are the same size and I did it on purpose. I like to knit several different projects that may or may not require the same size. Size 6 needle Ihave over twenty sets, round ones. When I knit in the round, I use two needles on the sleeves.
Also, you are blessed that you have your mother. I lost mine in 2001 and I miss her alot. We too would knit for hours on end. It was the best of best of times.
Enjoy her while you can.
Wanda/Queenmawmaw

·
Registered
21,208 Posts
Good Morning,
Amen for missing Mom's. Add me to that list. Yes we had our share of arguments, but I miss her everyday.

Perhaps you can give sis a gift card lol. I would not like to have to choose which needles to part with. Takes too long to find nice ones,
I have many in duplicate sizes, and I like it that way. I am always working on more than one project.
Sorry sis YOYO ( you're on your own).
Linda

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another reason to have more that one set of the same size needles is that if you use dark yarn your stiches will show up better on a light colored needle and if using a light yarn stitches will show up better on a dark colored needle. Of course if you are useing wooden needles.....

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
Queenmawmaw said:
Dear Judy,
I sympathize and understand. However, if I were you, I would explain to your mom that you are a collector. And if your sister wants to learn to knit, you or your mom can teach her. Next time before she comes to visit, put them up where she will not find them. I am afraid I have several needles that are the same size and I did it on purpose. I like to knit several different projects that may or may not require the same size. Size 6 needle Ihave over twenty sets, round ones. When I knit in the round, I use two needles on the sleeves.
Also, you are blessed that you have your mother. I lost mine in 2001 and I miss her alot. We too would knit for hours on end. It was the best of best of times.
Enjoy her while you can.
Wanda/Queenmawmaw
I agree with what most are saying...for the most part mom's mean well...Having said that...I would just stand firm..because I too have many of the same size to work on as many projects as I want..
So being upfront and firm is usually the best.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It doesn't sound to me that your problem is too many needles or your mom wanting to give them away, but expressing yourself to your mom. I would not want to hide my needles because mom's will remember! I suggest you simply tell your mom that you need your needles and that's why you bought them for yourself, but suggest that you and your mom pitch in to buy your sister her own set for her next birthday.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
LEE1313 said:
Good Morning,
Amen for missing Mom's. Add me to that list. Yes we had our share of arguments, but I miss her everyday.

Perhaps you can give sis a gift card lol. I would not like to have to choose which needles to part with. Takes too long to find nice ones,
I have many in duplicate sizes, and I like it that way. I am always working on more than one project.
Sorry sis YOYO ( you're on your own).
Linda
DITO MM club has a big following ! I agree YOYO ! I'd put them away... pick your battles :)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Here's my solution. My sister kept saying she wished she'd learn to crochet, but she didn't want to buy hooks and yarn that she might not use. I let her pick yarn, gave her a hook, and simple instructions and internet guides. I picked a hook suited to worsted yarn. She may never crochet, but she hasn't an excuse if she decides to try.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a boundary issue going on here. Your mom may have had a nice thought about your sister, but once you stated your position, she needed to let her demands go. It is not for her to decide on how many needles you should own. Now this may sound a bit harsher than other comments here, but truth is truth. You can hide your excess needles or hold your ground. How you deal with the situation is up to you, but simply know that you have the right to be who you are and how you are. She needs to respect that.

·
Registered
735 Posts
my two daughters and i knit constantly. we give each other yarn and needles if we need them. i would rather give and replace than not have the sharing moments we have. we go to sales togther and never visit without our newest projects. i often ask if the like something knowing that i will pass it on after two or three wearings. i live in a senior community and see the same folks daily. how many times can you wear the same top? the girls work and love to get something new.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
tamarque said:
It sounds to me like you have a boundary issue going on here. Your mom may have had a nice thought about your sister, but once you stated your position, she needed to let her demands go. It is not for her to decide on how many needles you should own. Now this may sound a bit harsher than other comments here, but truth is truth. You can hide your excess needles or hold your ground. How you deal with the situation is up to you, but simply know that you have the right to be who you are and how you are. She needs to respect that.
I totally agree. You will have to gently set boundaries for your mother. If the situation were reversed and you went to her home and told her the same thing, how would she react? Sometimes mother's can't help treating their adult children as children who still need to be instructed. If you don't set parameters, this will continue. If you stated your piece and let her know you have already given needles to your sister, that should be the end of it. Many years ago, I had to do the same thing with both my mom and mother in-law. Fortunately it worked, and they respected my "space". Be gentle but hold your ground. I really miss the both of them too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I sympathise. My mother died of cancer 2 months after my 21st birthday. My sister was 18 but worst of all, my brother was only 14.

4 years on, it still isnt any easier and I still miss her terribly, but learning to knit was my way of keeping my mum alive in my heart-I just wish that I took notice of her knitting. She taught my sister, but I was always too busy drawing and didnt want to learn then, but I loved watching her create such beautiful things.

I regret that now, because she and my sister looked like they had so much fun together, and years later I love knitting! I just hope she is proud of my progress.

I aspire to make a knitted wedding dress one day, just to keep as a memento of my mum, as she made a knitted wedding dress to practice her lace knitting and it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!

God bless everyone who has lost thier mum-I know how heartbreaking it is, but as my mum always said: " No matter what happens today, tomorrow is another day"

xx

·
Registered
15,037 Posts
tamarque said:
I, too, no longer have my mother. But she NEVER told me how to run my life or interfered in anyway. One thing she did tell me..."Never leave the dr's office without knowing what is wrong with your child when they're sick." I had my first baby when I was 19, so I put that down to inexperience and naivete!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Boy, this sure brings back memories of my Mom, who passed in Nov.2010. She learned to crochet late in life (56yrs) and by the time she went to the nursing home, she had collected at least 15 "G" hooks. She would forget where she put one and just go buy another!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom