Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built a dollhouse. I have made a bedroom suite. I would like to make blankets, spreads, etc. for the bedroom. I have a pattern that is knitting instructions. It has been ages since I knitted and then not so well. Today I cast on a few stitches, knitted a few stitches, and read some of the instructions which referred to garter stitches.

I did not have a clue what garter stitch might be. I searched through my needlecraft books and found only the briefest instructions for garter stitch. I feel this pattern is too complex for me.

Do you have patterns you would suggest? Thank you.

Ruby

· Registered
62 Posts
Ruby - I'd be willing to bet lots of money you can do this!

Garter stitch is simply knit every single row, no purling. It gives you a bumpy look on both sides.

Stockinette stitch is knit one row, purl one row. This gives you the smooth side on the knitted side. This is usually referred to as the right side. The back side will be the purl bumps.

Garter stitch has the lovely attraction of also not curling at the edges. Sometimes you will see items with a garter stitch
border on the sides to prevent curling.

If you are knitting on circular needles you have the built in bonus of knitting every row but getting the smooth look without having to purl.

Guess how many people switch to knitting in the round as soon as they can!

· Registered
10,064 Posts
as your other friend said, garter st is knit on every row, and may be less 'finished' than you want, but it does have the added feature of NOT rolling...that way when things get washed, as children's things will surely need to be, they won't have to be blocked...

many people will knit a few stitches at the beg of knit and purl rows to help it stay flat...also look up a 'moss' st to do the same thing, either in it's entirety or on the edges...remember to start and end with the same width border so the top and bottom will lay flat, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom