Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do a major clean-up of my basement. I don't like to throw out things that others can use. Does anyone know how to find a local group that can use donated yarn? I know there are churches and other places that make prayer shawls but I don't want to call all the local churches. Is there a way to find a list?

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
Check with the Nursing Homes too. They do crafts there too. You do have to be careful though people are so un-trusting. Here in NY we have Craigs List that you can post to and FreeCycle. Both have a place for "Free". I have gotten some things that way to use for the hats and blankets I make.

·
Registered
321 Posts
check out groups that are knitting for charity's. They donate to many different causes from premies to children in war torn nations to our soldiers over seas. look at your library, senior center or church for these groups. hope this helps :) Kaju

·
Registered
231 Posts
Go to the Lion Brand site they have a list of organizations that due charity work. Hope the following link is of help to you.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/lionbrand/charitySearch.cgi?primaryStore=%2Fstores%2Flionbrand&store=%2Fstores%2Flionbrand&storeId=%2Fstores%2Flionbrand&action=Search&organizationDescription=&itemDescription=&postalCode=&address=&city=Philadelphia&state=PA&country=&Radius=15&I1.x=41&I1.y=7

Elaine
the Charity Knitter
from South Jersey

ruthkk said:
I need to do a major clean-up of my basement. I don't like to throw out things that others can use. Does anyone know how to find a local group that can use donated yarn? I know there are churches and other places that make prayer shawls but I don't want to call all the local churches. Is there a way to find a list?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whay about nursing homes? Alternatively, some schools, mostly quaker, teach knitting in the early years. It is used to teach recycling as well as other things. I would call a local school and offer it. Perhaps you or others could volunteer for a few times to help. I have the card they use, which is a fence and the yarn wraps around it. very resourceful. You can contact me if you want. [email protected] :roll:

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Some years ago I began bringing yarn to a local Senior Housing Facility...it quickly became popular! They began keeping a large basket in the "great room" that people would drop yarn into...the yarn would vanish very quickly. I moved several states away and was in a quandary as to what to do with extra skeins, left overs etc. for a while. Then an assisted living center was built across the street from my condo. Twice a month I go over for a "knitting/crochet" day and bring a basket of leftovers. One elderly woman dug through the basket and found sock yarns in blues, white and a few yards of a gold metallic yarn. She crocheted a yarmulke for her son...gorgeous. She gave it to him on the first night of Chanauka when the facility had a small celebration (I was invited even though I'm a Catholic). The look of joy on that womans face as she handed over this small gift was wonderful..the look of delight, on her sons face when he opened it was equally wonderful!!!

·
Premium Member
81,367 Posts
You might try offering it on your local Freecycle group. I've successfully given away many things through mine. <http://www.freecycle.org/ > The best thing about Freecycle is that you only have to get your item to the door, whoever wants it, comes to fetch it. Of course, if you're uncomfortable with giving out your address, you can always set up a meeting at a neutral location. I usually just give my address - in an e-mail, not to the group - and leave the thing in a clean garbage can on my front porch.

I have also successfully resisted the urge to take the boxes of yarn I've often seen offered!

Jessica-Jean
Last yarn purchase: August 20, 2010

·
Registered
12 Posts
ruthkk said:
me? lol id love to take it.... i can pay for the shipping if youd liek to send some of it COD... sen me a message and il give ya details.....;o)

·
Registered
46,038 Posts
What a beautiful story of the crochet yarmulka. What you did was an infinite good deed, b/c the son will wear it when saying blessings that others will partake in etc.... so your 'points' are accrued in perpetuity. May G-D bless you.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Thank you yona! I was also blessed by being able to watch the woman deftly work that yarn with a real purpose in mind. I also think the son was not only pleased..but a bit surprised by the yarmulka. He put it right on and smiled so broadly.

·
Registered
46,038 Posts
That's why your good deed is so special as this, might have been the last gift this mother was able to give to her son. The son will have a great momento from his mom, that he will probably pass on to his son & down the family line - all thanks to the 'golden' thread donation made by a woman with a heart of gold, YOU.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I'll tell you something...I now rarely throw away scraps of yarn..seeing what that woman did with little more than "left overs". I enjoy going over there for Knit/crochet day. Just wish I could do it more often.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi, I am in a non-profit organization and would love to take all the yarn that you don't need. We do prayer shawls and other scarf projects for homeless people arround the country.
please shoot me an email to discuss further. Really apreciated.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wish we had freecycle or even Craig's list in this area. The closest is 150 miles away and won't even let me sign up because of the distance. No one around here is interested and they usually just take stuff to the dump. Being on a really low fixed income makes me wish I could contact some of the agencies that do hand out the yarn.
You might contact a Girl Scout or Campfire group too. They have to earn merit badges and make things to hand out to different places. Also if you have a Multiple Sclerosis chapter in your area they gather things to hand out to shut ins that they can't afford. That's where I donated a lot of the things I knitted and also gave them a lot of needlepoint and cross stitch patterns and thread.
I miss having an income that let me buy it when I wanted to, but living here means a 350 mile round trip just to get to Hobby Lobby or other big box stores. Hope you find a great charity to donate to in your area.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom