Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may remember a prior posting about trying to knit a scarf on what I read as size 6 needles, when in actuality it read in Swedish 6mm which converts to US10. The result was thick, awful and would have been a disaster if completed. But I needed more of the same. Ordered it, arrived today.
1. Needed a break from knitting, started to sew a bag made from recycled, felted wool sweater. Difficult going on the bottom, fabric would not move. Loosened this, tried that and one loosened item the needle fell out, trapped the fabric it would not move, grabbed husbands pliers to remove needle. Hah! Broke needle in half, ended upon cutting fabric to remove from machine.
2. Yarn I ordered (please see above). arrived right after and came in priority plastic bag. Could not open, grabbed scissors and yes, managed to cut yarn!
3. Spent one hour and twenty minutes, untangling and winding skein into ball. Have many small bits and pieces.
4. Spending next weekend in Savannah with friends. Friend booked rooms, wrote him check, just found out he forgot to book. No room at the Inn.
5. I know you wonder why I am bothering write all this. The answer is that while feeling dumb from the size 6mm fiasco, the sewing fiasco, and the yarn cutting fiasco I can now see my friend's husband and know that we both heard train instead of brain and decided to wait for the next one.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I think we all go through bad patches with no luck on our side...it's especially difficult as it's coming up to christmas and the rushing around and frustration to get things done timeously.Some times we just need to tell ourselves to slow down and take it easier,things would probably go a lot better in the long run! ;)
Sorry to hear you got laid off GinB :( The company I work for are in the process of giving us a 30 day consultation period,so I don't know what's happening with my job either...I will either be out of work or on basically 50% on my monthly wage! :((

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Short version: came home last night, detached keychain from purse, went to mailbox. Came back, placed keychain and mail (all junk!) on trunk next to purse.

Went back out and looked up at the strange lights in the sky - called neighbor who came out and she called other neighbor who told her what the lights are.

I thanked friend, she went home and I grabbed my purse and closed the garage door and turned the lock on the side door and closed it.

Now I'm standing in the yard looking through purse for keys so I can get into the house.

Uh oh!!! Keys are on the trunk of car -- and I'm locked out of the garage, out of the house, and in the yard!!

I busted out laughing. Called neighbor - and thanked her for giving back my keys yesterday. LOL

She came over - and came into my gate, which I was able to open with credit card. Duh!!

Well, the short part of the story ... using friend's Yellow Pages I called locksmith. 40 minutes later he replaced doorlock set, keyed it to my key ... wrote up the bill - took off $20 and left with my check for $271.50.

This is why I have to learn to keep my keys on my purse, as intended. And to never lock the doors unless the keys are in my hand.

Ooops!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Last winter, when we had a really cold snap, I went out and started my car and then ran back into the house to let it warm up. I grabbed my lunch, my purse, and my work bag. Then I spent 10 frustrated minutes LOOKING FOR MY CAR KEYS WHICH WERE NO WHERE IN THE HOUSE.

Wait for it. I dawned on me that.. . . . .

Have chocolate. It helps. Wren.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Chocolate the bestest remedy - for everything. I'd keep a bar in the house, but funny it doesn't seem to keep well.....

One of the off moments I can remember (that system seems to have gone down) was standing sweating and desperately keying in the wrong pin number again and again while the bank clerk looked on loftily.

Then the fog cleared, I GOT it right - a specially easy number for dodos too......sooo embarrassing

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sounds like the time I bought peanut brittle from my daughter's school fundraiser, broke a tooth eating it, had a root canal on the tooth, broke the stub and ended up having the tooth pulled -- all for a huge bill. Ahh the joys of having "those days". I feel your pain, Sis!

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
Oh I have done that so many times...
One time I wasn't feeling too great but had to go to town... in those days town was a hour away... so I took a dayquil and hopped in the car and while I was in town I decided to do some looking around and get some lunch.. I was feeling pretty good by then.. I went into a consignment shop... looked around for awhile and when I went outside I realized my keys were still in the car.. locked.. so I called AAA and they came out to work on it.. I said well at least I didn't leave it running like that car... oh yes!! it was my car running all that time... my ears were stuffy so I couldn't hear it correctly.. all these people standing around while I embarassed myself.. dayquil was wearing off and I had a hour to drive home still :oops:
Schoeneckwren said:
Last winter, when we had a really cold snap, I went out and started my car and then ran back into the house to let it warm up. I grabbed my lunch, my purse, and my work bag. Then I spent 10 frustrated minutes LOOKING FOR MY CAR KEYS WHICH WERE NO WHERE IN THE HOUSE.

Wait for it. I dawned on me that.. . . . .

Have chocolate. It helps. Wren.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I see that a common thread here for survival, not counting chocolate, is a sense of humor. It may not help a bad situation while it's in process, but it definitely plays a part later when we add the ghastly situations into our banks of good stories to tell. Understand, I don't count being laid off in that group; there's nothing funny about that, and you have my best wishes for a good outcome.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
BubbyIssaquah said:
I see that a common thread here for survival, not counting chocolate, is a sense of humor. It may not help a bad situation while it's in process, but it definitely plays a part later when we add the ghastly situations into our banks of good stories to tell. Understand, I don't count being laid off in that group; there's nothing funny about that, and you have my best wishes for a good outcome.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
The problem of keys... Because of past problems I caused myself, I became paranoid about them, and developed the habit of not locking ANYTHING until I knew exactly where the keys are. If not in my hand, DON'T MOVE, THINK! Then find the darn things and have them in hand. Now engage the lock! Being paranoid about them has saved me from a lot of grief!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom