Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to knit a double knit varsity scarf for my college going granddaughter. It has stripes about 5 inches wide in alternating colors. I can not figure out how to add the new color without having it show on the other color and is securely attached. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((( Yarn bobbins don't work in this method so you can carry the yarn (in front)? I've only done the stockinette with one color on one side and a second color on the other......oh, and I did it in garter, too.....

I surfed for you and din't get a hit........let me reword it...

At the bottom more on this link, they've got a video and tutorial that might help you.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques

Donna Rae
~~~~~~~~
Elaine Ohs said:
I want to knit a double knit varsity scarf for my college going granddaughter. It has stripes about 5 inches wide in alternating colors. I can not figure out how to add the new color without having it show on the other color and is securely attached. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Donna,

I'm going to your suggested site now. I'll let you know how I make out.

Insanitynz, can't just start the yarn on the right side and knit a row. There would be nothing to secure it and knitting a knit row would mess up the double knitting by attaching the two sides which you don't want.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are you only using 2 colors? If you start with both colors at once, one for each side, then switch them to the reverse side every 5 inches, you would have reversible, alternating 5 inch stripes for the scarf. Quite simple, really. Ravelry has a double knitting group, with extensive info, pattern help, inspiration, etc.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Donna, I watched you recommended. It scared me to death. I would have to learn the cont. stitch before I could even start to work with 2 colors. I was working with just one color ar a time because I want the stripe to be the same color on both sides. I do K1,S1 as if to P with yarn in front. You are creating one side knitting one way and the other side when knitting back.

I'm going to look at more videos and see what I can find. If you get any great ideas let me know.

Just one more thing. How did you post to this topic? It never appeared on the forum as far as I could see. Thanks for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom