Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I figured out how to cast on and knit purl in the round but when I switch to all stockinette I would like to "turn the inside out" so I can have the nicer looking cast on row to be the outside of the hat ...is there a way to do this or am I stuck with having the cast on row that is not as pretty being the outside of the hat. I am a total newbie with DP needles...my first attempt. I'm not keen on doing all purl stitches either ...if I understand that option.
Also what could I have done otherwise from the beginning if there is another way. Thanks! Laurie

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((( I'm thinking this:

Do your CO '''''' not in the round'''' - do it flat row work, turn and the join to work in the round - this will put your CO edges on the inside......

By golly, I really think this would work! I love a puzzle! LOL!!

Do it and let me know, please! LOL!
~~~~~~
LoorieR said:
OK...I figured out how to cast on and knit purl in the round but when I switch to all stockinette I would like to "turn the inside out" so I can have the nicer looking cast on row to be the outside of the hat ...is there a way to do this or am I stuck with having the cast on row that is not as pretty being the outside of the hat. I am a total newbie with DP needles...my first attempt. I'm not keen on doing all purl stitches either ...if I understand that option.
Also what could I have done otherwise from the beginning if there is another way. Thanks! Laurie

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
K!!! I'll give it a try!!! That is me, always experimenting and rarely follow a pattern so I get myself in predicaments. But this idea sounds like it would work indeed...I'll have to do at home tho...I think I knit enuf here at work for now...click click go the needles...silently....

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((( Wahoo! Gimme a (((((((( body hug! LOL!)))))))

Yeah, when you send that post in, I thought about it and it didn't take me long to figure the figures and I almost CO stitches to work it out and typcically do on questions, type the answer while verifying but I only have straight SP needles sitting here! LOL!

You could also start on SP/s then work the first row, turn and then put the circulars on (using the same sized needles, of course.)
~~~~~~~~
LoorieR said:
K!!! I'll give it a try!!! That is me, always experimenting and rarely follow a pattern so I get myself in predicaments. But this idea sounds like it would work indeed...I'll have to do at home tho...I think I knit enuf here at work for now...click click go the needles...silently....

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you work "in the round" on double points you're pattern will aitomatically work out in Stockinette Stitch...since you are going round and round it is like working a row of knit and a row of purl when actually you are just knitting.....hope that helps.
Karen M. for New Castle, PA

·
Registered
64 Posts
I make a lot of new born hats using 16 inch circular needles
just cast on and join at the end and be sure to mark being row. make sure to move marker every round.
Then just knit every row until time to decrease on circular needles until it gets to hard then switch to doulbe pointed needles. the first time will seem hard but believe me it becomes really easy once you get the hang of it......I teach knitting at the assisted living where I work, we made helmet liners on circular needles for the troops in Afganistan, my residents loved the cirular needles. good luck.Hope this helps. LLL :arrow:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One big problem I have with the DP needle is I have to keep adjusting the tension on my fingers...I suppose because there is more action with dropping and picking up the next needle. I hope I can get better at this aspect because this really seems to slow down my process. I do continental with the yarn wrapped on the left fingers...I wondered if there was something I could wear on my L finger to control the yarn better.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone so far for your help with my new adventure with DP needles...

E.ridhn...I did try your suggestion and it did work...so next time...on the next hat...I still have lots and lots of yarn for baby hats!!!!I'm having so much fun on this site!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...hm, cable cast on...I will have to look that up. sounds interesting.

Update...I don't think I will ever get use to this type of knitting, double point multiple...unless it was the particular yarnI was using splitting. I was having lots of "issues." It is a toss up with the extra time it takes to sew up flat items but I think using the DP's took me way more time over all.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a question....I have some older straight knitting needles that were my grandmothers and the tips are worn and they catch on some of my yarn..is there anything I can do to recoat them? I know I could just buy new ones but these have sentimental value and I love using them! Thanks for any help. Kay Mac in PA.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hello,

I am so confused. You mentioned you were making baby hats with a size 16" circular needle. I need to use a much shorter circular needle for baby hats. Since a newborn babies head is about 8-10" around, how do you get your stitches to meet and form a circle of that size??? If you were using the 16" circular needle wouldn't the opening be much bigger??

If you have a chance get back to me. As I said, "I am so confused"

Thanks.............ladybuys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom