Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new knitter and would like to learn how to use DPNs. I want to find a pattern that would be relatively easy? Would it help to look for a pattern that calls for a large size needle? I tried a knit bird for my daughter who loves birds, on a size 7 and got so confused I took it apart.

·
Registered
21,208 Posts
YIKES!!
Start with something as easy as a hat.
Worsted weight, size 8 or 9 DPN.

Cast on 30/40 on each of three needles. Total sts 90/120 depending on size needed.

I work in K1P1 for 8/10". Finish off.

I have just kitchener the top closed( looked flat)
Kids don't really care. Or you can just decrease by half the number of sts and draw through remaining stitches.

Wait til you try socks!!!! Make sure you have something to drink when you start the first one. You can be crazy by the second sock. I have many "one's" Eventually I'll make the match.

Good luck. Keep trying it does get easier.
Linda

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
When I was first learning to use DPN's I found that the hardest part was starting the first few rounds of a project, especially if there are just a few stitches on each needle (like a top-down hat). The needles just want to flip every which way, and since we human being only have two hands it is impossible to keep control of all of them. Once you have a few rounds of stitches on the needles that problem resolves itself. If you are just picking up DPN's for the first time I recommend a hat pattern that is knit from the bottom up (any basic hat will do). Start the project on a short circular needle and then switch over to DPN's when you get to the crown and the decreases make the rounds too short to continue with the circular needle. Once you do a few of these you will get a feel for the DPN's and they will get to be a lot less scary and much more comfortable. Then you will be better able to do a project without the circular and just work it start to finish on the DPN's. I use DPN's almost exclusively for small projects like hats and mittens these days and rarely bother with circulars unless I am doing something bigger.

Good luck and have fun! :)

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
buy another set of needles and make both at the same time....i buy needles at thrift stores so i have plenty...you don't have to worry about color or material, just use the same size...i use 9 at a time for sox or legwarmers....4 in each sock and then one in my hand to knit with....cast on both sox...knit rib on both socks, etc., stopping at each area where something changes and go to the other sock and repeat immediately while it's still fresh in your mind...much easier to get the sox the same size and to have details, (like heels and toes) to match better....you just can't remember what you did weeks ago when you make one and then the other.....

also, people complain about the sox not matching in size even when they count rows....that's because your knitting changes tension (which affects size and softness) as you work and 'loosen' up a bit. then you start the second sock and inevitably it is softer, longer and does not match....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom