Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A dear friend of mine is regretting the loss of a vintage pattern from the 60s or 70s. Her grandmother taught her how to knit mittens on pdns with a single cable down the middle.The cable begins above the cuff. The patterns that I have found on the web have not met that criteria. I have been on vintage sites and knitting central, to no avail. If anyone can point me in the right direction for a mitten pattern like that, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
galaxycraft said:
You are quite welcome....
hopefully something there will strike her fancy.
I hope so too. She sold the pattern books and needles at a garage sale a number of years ago, thinking that she would never be knitting again any time soon and regrets the loss of the mitten pattern especially.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Does she remember the company that produced the pattern? If so an e-mail to them might yield a positive result barring that I am sure many of us have vintage pattern books and this information would help in a search.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Very nice pattern called "Elegant and Easy Cable Mittens for the Family" by Marci Richardson appears in "101 Designer One-Skein Wonders" book. Edited by Judith Durant, published by Storey Publishing. Looks very similar to what you describe, except that cable goes all the way down to beginning of cuff. Could be modified??

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Have you looked at the pattern for "Bella's mittens" from the recent Twilight series? They are a thick, warm, arm-length mitten VERY hot with young women because of the movie series.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, ladies, for all of your helpful responses. I will forward your comments to my friend. I will specifically ask her if she remembers the pattern company and get back to you if she does. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
984 Posts
What a wealth of patterns! I too thank you very much.
The one with the pink gloves I have. I make all my mittens from that book. But found some of those cable ones interesting.

Again, thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Urith said:
Plait Cable Mittens
kefagan.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/plait-cable-mittens.pdf
why can't I put up a link, that come's out like the rest of you??
where it is blue with a line under it, and that you just click, and it goes to the pattern.
What am I doing wrong?
Thank's
Trudy

·
Registered
592 Posts
Urith said:
Urith said:
Plait Cable Mittens
why can't I put up a link, that come's out like the rest of you??
where it is blue with a line under it, and that you just click, and it goes to the pattern.
What am I doing wrong?
Thank's
Trudy
I found the site you were referring to by using google. Once I had it open I moved my mouse so that the cursor was over the address at the top of the screen. Then RIGHT click the mouse and choose copy. Now in KP you can click reply or open a new post, type in your message and when you want to add your link just RIGHT click where you want it and choose paste. Your link pops up but is not blue or underlined yet. When you click send under the box the message appears with your link in blue and underlined!!! Just be careful not to put a period at the end of your link as the period will stop the link from working for anyone trying it.

http://kefagan.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/plait-cable-mittens.pdf

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Urith said:
Thank's Irene, I thought I did that, I can copy and paste the one you put there, but I can't seem to do it if I find one that I want to post.
I'm just trying again
[PDF]
Plait Cable Mittens

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm sorry it didn't work for you either. There are probably other ways to post links but I'm not that great at computers. I can get my job done but if I run into a problem I call for the kids :)
You seem to be missing the http:// from the beginning of the link.
Maybe someone else will know why its not working for you.

Besides, I was able to find your link with no problem - and I thank you for the pattern to the mitts. I remember a teacher way back in grade school had a pair that looked like those and I thought they were just the most stylish things.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom