Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Thats right. :roll: It is slowing my roll...cramping my style...and would someone pul-eeze invent circulars smaller than 12ins that has an expandable coil as you knit. Okay so there is an original idea now hurry up and invent it before I scream.

msdotsy1 said:
Thats right. :roll: It is slowing my roll...cramping my style...and would someone pul-eeze invent circulars smaller than 12ins that has an expandable coil as you knit. Okay so there is an original idea now hurry up and invent it before I scream.
I was feeling that way too for awhile ... my 16" circulars got left at my moms and I was starting a new pair of socks. I can knit with dpn's, but as you say "it's cramping my style". I didn't like the way they always had to be shifted with each turn. I ended up purchasing a set of 4" dpn's that are quite pleasant to use. Still prefer circulars, but at least I am not pulling my hair out when I do use the dpn's.

I feel your pain! and mine! My Boye circs are just too large sometimes. And they have small lengths but when you add the needle to them, you can't work with them.
I think we need to go to the site that shows you how to make your own. Buy up the little bamboo sticks from China and make them.
Nah, couldn't be bothered. Oh well. Sounds like a good idea.
http://www.knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/061109_a.asp
I wouldn't bother with the dowel when you can buy a whole set of wooden dpns really cheap
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5x15-Sizes-8-Double-Pointed-Knitting-Bamboo-Needles-/320683536316?pt=AU_Knitting&hash=item4aaa3a6fbc&_uhb=1#ht_2565wt_1271

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Joy Marshall said:
You can use 2 circulars, knitting from one to the other.
Whoa!!!! :shock: I must admit I have thought of every thing to get around the problem but that is the best idea yet.

Now if they would just make the needle part of the circulars shorter then even the 12 and 16 ins. wouldn't be such a bother. Then I would save the DPNs till I get to 12 stitches, at least I would have better control.

But how about a short circular made as a tube with a strong inner rubber band running through the middle so when you move the needle it stretches instead of the yarn stretching. Or something of the sort.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
m2hvnfn said:
msdotsy1 said:
I was feeling that way too for awhile ... my 16" circulars got left at my moms and I was starting a new pair of socks. I can knit with dpn's, but as you say "it's cramping my style". I didn't like the way they always had to be shifted with each turn. I ended up purchasing a set of 4" dpn's that are quite pleasant to use. Still prefer circulars, but at least I am not pulling my hair out when I do use the dpn's.
4ins is also a nice solution also though I haven't really seen any but could look. I thought of toothpicks!? Since half the problem is getting the yarn stuck between the long sticks, and as you said shifting from stick to stick.

Going on from this - what do people knit baby socks on then?
It is very fiddly with dpns! Is there a substitute for them
Wondering - Flyssie

I use two 16" circular needles instead od 4 or 5 Duoble Point Needles.socks, Mittens, Top of hats Work goes very fast. I use Addi turbo Size 4 and up 16" Circulars. Works great for me.

Magic loop is a technique that has become quite popular of late. You can use a long needle to make any item in the round -- I use it for knitting sweaters, two socks at once, two sleeves at once, hats, mittens, center start shawls...

I learned the technique about ten or so years ago, for doing socks. I later discovered a vintage pattern from my mother's collection for a doily, starting in the center and knit in the round on a long circular... I'd already been doing that with center start shawls! So, the method isn't new, but the interest in using it has been renewed!

Anyway - as for a "short circular that gradually gets larger as you need it to" - they are called "interchangeable needle sets" and they are made by Denise, Addi, Boye, Knitpicks, among many more...

This is getting to be an overwhelming response in every question: magic loop-ers jump in with the links very quickly because there doesn't seem to be a single instance of other types of needles that isn't just as easily handled by a single circ and this method.
Bobbie

Joy Marshall said:
You can use 2 circulars, knitting from one to the other.
Excellent idea, learn something new everyday on KP. I read some of you have 12" circulars and one said 8 or 9" circulars. Where in the world do you get those? The smallest I've found are the 16" which includes the needles attached. DPN's make me bonkers!

The DPNs are "fiddly" but I found that if you work on them more often you get a feel for them. The circular needles are great but they can break if you manipulate or bend them too much.

I started making thrummed mittens with 2 circs, but found that everything went much easier when I switched to bamboo DPN's. I did find a set of short, tiny diameter bamboo DPN's for socks (just haven't used them yet.)

Karen N.

I have actually seen "expandable" circular needles, can't remember where though (on line I think). I thought they would be fun to get and try, but I didn't ever do it. They looked like Boye needles, the cable extended from the inside of the needle.

Joy Marshall said:
flyssie said:
Going on from this - what do people knit baby socks on then?
It is very fiddly with dpns! Is there a substitute for them
Wondering - Flyssie
I knit bootees on two needles and sew the seams.
I knit booties and mittens with 2 small 16' circular needles. Costly but works fast. Addi circulars. Now hard to find after Addi Interchangeable sets came in. But 2 Circular needles are best. I do not like the so popular Magi loop method with long cord. But My 2 " or 12" or 16" etc work wonders same concept as magic loob but cost of 2 needles is expensive. but easy to work with. Buy on eGod and one Stel to keep track. Just Love it and I have complted newborn mittens (Special Organic cotton yarn) and booties fast.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom