Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
It's not stupid.
Stop that!
dpns
double pointed needles (sometimes called pins) as apposed to circulars.
I've learned soooo much from the wonderful men and women on this site.
We're here to share.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
DPN's are double pointed needles.

They are usually about 7" long with a point on each end.
Though there are different lengths--but 7" is common.
They come in sets of 4 and 5.
They are used to knit socks, small hats and such in the round.
Some people use short circular needles to knit small items in the round--
Other people use double pointed needles to do the job.
Personal preference.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
you are not stupid when we started we were the same knew nothing but we get so smart as we go lol i also use my double pointed kneedles when i do scarves i put a stopper at one end so much easier to knit small objects

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
Me too... I have been greatly inspired by the woman who knitted for the animated movie... sure can't remember her name or the movie right now.. but there was a link here a few times and she knitted the tiniest sweaters and coats on pins... I love that... my eyes won't let me knit like that much but I play around with it... I just love the look of the knitted material.. so pretty...
laurelarts said:
I love the dpns and even when knitting small items that are not in the round, I use the dpns. I find them easier to manipulate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love my dpns. I can't seem to use those circular needles. I took all my circular ones to a charity shop. If I had to do a jumper or shrug in the round, I would use two sets of dpns the same size.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have yet to try my hand at DPNs...I'm a little nervous about it, they just seem overwhelming.. BUT it is my goal to learn how to use them so I can make teddy bears & so many other things!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My friend told me that I can use regular sized needles as dpns if I haven't got the right size. Charity shops sell them cheaply. Buy the right size regulars and saw the ends off. You will only need the point at one end of each needle.
What do you think?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My grandma says it's so easy, as she knits like a speed demon on them!
galaxycraft said:
mmg said:
I have yet to try my hand at DPNs...I'm a little nervous about it, they just seem overwhelming.. BUT it is my goal to learn how to use them so I can make teddy bears & so many other things!
To me, they were cumbersome to use, but with more use, you get better at it.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Yah, Grandma....but do you remember when you started?
Don't discourage me...help me learn! :>)

mmg said:
My grandma says it's so easy, as she knits like a speed demon on them!
galaxycraft said:
mmg said:
To me, they were cumbersome to use, but with more use, you get better at it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom