Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me to a good article or video about the skill of drafting fiber as you're spinning? I can't seem to get an even single. Pretty sure I am not doing something right. When I watch others draft, it seems so effortless. Any experiences S you learned to draft would be much appreciated as well. I am just so frustrated. It may be my wheel adjustment. I just don't know where to start. I have looked on pinterest for articles n fi d nothing about drafting. I have an antique 1838 JB wheel that had linen on it when I bought it. I also have what seems to be a Kromski Mariska. Sometimes they just flow along with no hitches n then overspin or my drafting g gets clumps. I would like to get an even result. I keep thinking I'm getting it n then yuck... Thanks you for any tips or suggestions.

·
Registered
595 Posts
One that helped me was to only draft 1/2 the staple length. I wish I could remember which video i saw it in. Also pinching a small amount at a time was a useful tip too. Other than that, it's practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Lots of stuff on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=drafting+fiber+for+spinning+

Many years ago I spun beautifully and without much work at it. After about a 10+ year hiatus of spinning it took me the longest time to get the kinks worked out. I now finally have my groove back, but I do a long backward draw, sort of. I am not much of a pinch and push kind of gal. That looks like a lot of caterpillars. Thick/thin all the way.

But your best bet it to practice, practice and adjust. One of the things I was doing wrong was having my drive band just a little too tight.

Predraft!!! Make sure that your yarn is fluffy and not too thick. Even if it is roving, I still tear them into at least 4-5 sections (lengthwise) Then if you want, predraft that too.

Best of luck to you!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Take a piece of your wool between the fingers of both of your hands and pull it to show you how long your staple length is before it pulls apart so you know how far you can draft it before it will break. If the wool is roving strip it into thinner lengths and stretch them out to open the fiber up. Set your wheel for the least amount of pulling if you have to draft, spin and then pinch and then let it wrap onto the bobbin this will help and practice at some point you will have muscle memory and a "aha" moment.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
If you are spinning along happily, then it starts to clump or lump, then may I suggest that you get up and walk around. It may be that you are just getting tired sitting in the same position and your muscles tighten up all over. Also, you may start to 'overthink' the draft instead of letting it flow. Splitting the batt/roving into thinner strips as others have suggested is good too. Soothing music in the background can help if you are tensing up and the more things go haywire, the more tense you get, even if subconsciously. If you are on facebook, look for the group 'Create with Fibre'. Janet has several videos on all aspects of spinning, including drafting. She has also written a book called 'How to spin just about anything', which is obtainable from her and which I recommend to any of my students.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all. I am tearing my roving into smaller straps n that is helping helping some. I am anxious to check out the videos. I love watching but am not good at finding the specific ones. Thanks for all yor suggestions. I truly appreciate evey one. Take care n stay well.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Those are all good suggestions. I am a real beginner, too, and get frustrated. But when I leave my little electric wheel out where I can just sit now and then every day, I can see a decided progression in my skill. Do give yourself time and lots of patience, and don't have too high of expectations to start with. Asking for help is a really good thing; you'll hear many of the same answers repeatedly, but that's what it takes before your brain can handle all the aspects at once. Here I am, giving you advice as if I were entitled to; but, the truth is, I am a real beginner myself and know how it feels. I do heartily agree with the suggestion to pre-draft-- peel the fiber into more narrow strips before starting to spin. It really makes it a lot easier for the practice.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried something new today. I combed my corriedale n just sort of piled it up on my leg n made really open lengths rather than making rolls. I also used info from one of the videos n did short drafting. Those both seemed to help. Still have more videos to watch. This skein had very few over spun areas. Much happier. Thanks again for suggestions, encouragement and help. Greatly appreciated!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom