Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the look of a lot of the free patterns on the Drop website. But they are so complicated to understand
Especially the ones with charts, most of the time they charts dont even have numbers beside the rows so i couldnt even figure out how many rows and when does the pattern start!

A nightmare

As anyone else had the same problem

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have been knitting for almost 50 years and I feel the same way about Drops pattern instructions. I have even tried writing them out but it's just not worth the time and trouble. There are so many sites with free instructions that are much easier to follow. My favorites are Ravelry and Knitting Pattern Central.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yes, there are difficulties...I wantd to make a jacket but found, half way through, that the tension meant that I was using more wool than the calculation of the amount "recommended"...and I notice now that there is a warning about this on the patterns. Just about to try and make some felted slippers....so here's hoping I get it right this time!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Paton's patterns are the same way. I am working on a sweater that so far, I have had to both tink and frog several times. I am learning on this pattern that sometimes perfection isn't necessary. Here is the pattern.
http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=4283
I am figuring it out, but being somewhat new, it is taking time and patience.
Sorry, the link requires a free membership to view.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Congrats to you for trying this pattern! Arans are always complicated for a new knitter. I find it much easier to knit an aran from a chart, which your pattern doesn't include. Use markers and notes with sticky notes to help you keep your place.

robmac said:
Paton's patterns are the same way. I am working on a sweater that so far, I have had to both tink and frog several times. I am learning on this pattern that sometimes perfection isn't necessary. Here is the pattern.
http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=4283
I am figuring it out, but being somewhat new, it is taking time and patience.
Sorry, the link requires a free membership to view.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
There are so many really beautiful DROPS patterns, but like you, I've read them through and it seemed they weren't very clear in places. At least for the charts, it would be easy to number the rows after you printed them out.
They say that if you purchase their yarn you will get help with the patterns, so maybe they are deliberately a little obtuse? I've gone on the website that sells their yarn, and they do seem very fairly priced, but I haven't ordered any yet. Has anyone ordered any of their yarn?

·
Registered
780 Posts
You are right about Patons -- I started on a relatively simple sweater pattern and ran into inconsistencies in the pattern where if I did what they said the stitch count would go off, etc.

So I am just muddling through an writing out notes so I can be consistent between fronts and backs, etc. The diagrams help too as they show some measurements. They should not be this hard and it is just a lack of spending the time and money on their end to translate the patterns correctly.

Even rows are the charts are not charted here either because for stockinette for example they are just purled.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
They are great patterns, but definitely not "hand holding" patterns. They are Danish, and in scandinavian countries knitting is like breathing, so a certain amount of familiarity with how a sweater (or whatever) is made is assumed.

Maybe start with simpler patterns and work your way up to Drops patterns. And for the lady who complained about no numbers on the charts, you can always write them in!

I really hate to see FREE GIFTS being complained about, like it's everybody's right to have patterns brought to them, just as they would like them. Please do not complain. Ever heard the old adage, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth"? It's still true and a pretty good judge of character.

joycevv, I do have some Drops yarn-- Karisma. It's beautiful, high quality yarn!

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
Thanks Sewbizgirl. I thought Karisma looked really beautiful and it's good to have your recommendation. I'm feeling inspired to try one of the many beautiful DROPS patterns I've downloaded.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
yes, I have ordered their yarn and I was very happy with it.
Also I think it was mentioned but I think should be said again. These patterns were not originally written in English. There is a translation to english available for all their patterns. Always click on the little American flag for the US version of instructions. British and US or a little different also. It is also very important to always read through the entire pattern before starting, this goes with any pattern. Sometimes further instructions are written into the pattern, or as 'notes' at the end. Sometimes not all the abrev. are listed but rather explained within as the stitch comes up. Most often unless there is a mistake or something actually gets left out, the pattern becomes clear as it is worked, with just a little patience.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Another thought on problems with a pattern seeming incomplete...check a forum on KP or Ravelry is another wonderful site with alot of knitters just waiting to help and encourage you in your endeavor. And I have to agree with Sewbizgirl, for "free" take - for "pay" complain, or that's what my mom always used to say.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom