Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand what happens when you drop a stitch(s) in knitting, however, do you get the same effect when you drop or skip a stitch in crocheting?

I am wanting to crochet a pattern that is a Knit pattern.

Any help will be appreciated as the item is very lovely and I would love to post a photo of it if I am able to master in crochet.

· Registered
12,277 Posts
No. Dropped stitches in knitting will unravel vertically, down the row. To get that same look in crochet, you would chain over your skipped st on every row.

elizabethriceman said:
I understand what happens when you drop a stitch(s) in knitting, however, do you get the same effect when you drop or skip a stitch in crocheting?

Any help will be appreciated as the item is very lovely and I would love to post a photo of it if I am able to master in crochet.

· Registered
7,116 Posts
elizabethriceman said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No, not the same effect in crocheting as you can't drop a stitch IMHO.....you can drop the loop off the hook, but if you did, there's nothing to work with; LOL!

So, you can '''skip''' a stitch in crochet and mess up the pattern.......

About converting knit to a crochet, that info is up in search (above) and it came from the web, Elizabeth.

Good luck, sweetie and happy new year to you and yours!

Donna Rae

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much and if I may ask another ? of you at this point; if a pattern calls for 50 sts cast on for crochet, does that same number of sts cast on apply for knitting or vice versa? All info is appreciated as I enjoy practicing alot prior to beginning any item even a simple neck scarf.

Thanks again!

· Registered
12,277 Posts
No. Your gauge is the key here. Only if you have the same gauge would the same number work. And you also have to take into consideration that a crocheted fabric is denser than a knitted fabric.

elizabethriceman said:
Thanks so much and if I may ask another ? of you at this point; if a pattern calls for 50 sts cast on for crochet, does that same number of sts cast on apply for knitting or vice versa? All info is appreciated as I enjoy practicing alot prior to beginning any item even a simple neck scarf.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom