Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Row 1 (RS): k2, yo, k1, yo,place marker k1 place marker, yo, k1, yo, k2.
Row 2 (WS): K2 , P to last 2 sts knit last 2 sts (and on all WS)
Row 3 (RS): k2, yo, k to marker, YO, k1,move marker YO, k to last 2 stitches, YO, k2.
and so on

When you move the marker in the 3rd row, what exactly does that mean? Does one move it over one stitch? Please help... I am sure it is a silly question..:( just not that familiar with moving markers...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Not a dumb question! Asking questions is how we learn. It means just move the marker from the left needle to the right needle, or vice versa if you are knitting left-handed. Feel free to ask away!!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Suzie1 said:
It means just move the marker from the left needle to the right needle
But if she knits to the marker there won't be any stitches to k1. She needs to move the marker over by one stitch.

·
Registered
27,100 Posts
nittineedles said:
But if she knits to the marker there won't be any stitches to k1. She needs to move the marker over by one stitch.
Place marker K1 Place marker. When she knits to the marker she yarns over and K1 the stitch between the two markers and then does another yarn over.

·
Registered
430 Posts
These instuctions are a little confusing. In Row 1 you place TWO markers, one on either side of a central knit stitch.

To be symmetrical, I think Row 3 should say:

Row 3 (RS): k2, yo, k to marker, YO, k1, YO, move marker, k to last 2 stitches, YO, k2.

When you knit to the first marker, you move it before the yarn over. I'm not 100% sure of this without seeing the whole pattern. Take a look and see if you continue some sort of diamond shaped motif in the center that the markers define.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
PatriciaDF said:
I agree with Suzie1. I just finished a shawl with a similar pattern. The markers are on either side of the center stitch. You just slip them from one needle to the other.
I agree. The markers are to ensure you keep both sides of your shawl symmetrical as you increase stitches.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Unless she's asking about the problem I had with a pattern where I had to actually take off the marker use the next stitch and put the marker back on. It was the way the pattern was written and someone explained to me that some lace patterns would do that. It worked on the pattern for the Vernal Equinox Shawl. Sorry re-read and it's not the same as my problem. Should have just said slip the marker.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Ceally said:
Row 1 (RS): k2, yo, k1, yo,place marker k1 place marker, yo, k1, yo, k2.
Row 2 (WS): K2 , P to last 2 sts knit last 2 sts (and on all WS)
Row 3 (RS): k2, yo, k to marker, YO, k1,move marker YO, k to last 2 stitches, YO, k2.
and so on

When you move the marker in the 3rd row, what exactly does that mean? Does one move it over one stitch? Please help... I am sure it is a silly question..:( just not that familiar with moving markers...
Not at all...
Honestly, I'm so lazy that I just leave the markers where they are... or only move them every 10 rows or something like that. I can still see where the marker is marking, I don't have to move it all the time, & I don't have to have the marker be in my way when I'm knitting the next row, etc.
But, I am lazy & if the pattern is a confusing one, you may want to do what it says: move the marker to its new home... ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Suzie1 said:
Not a dumb question! Asking questions is how we learn. It means just move the marker from the left needle to the right needle, or vice versa if you are knitting left-handed. Feel free to ask away!!
You're right. The only "dumb question" is the one left unasked.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The markers are defining the center stitch and should stay in place. The only moving would be slipping from one needle to the other. The yarn overs are on the outside of the markers defining the center stitch.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom