Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have bought many needles from them and have been happy. Iamjanice stated she didn't like the cable joins and I have found a few that are rough. I have filed them down a bit with an emery board which has taken care of the problem. I use them a lot, sometimes running waxed paper over the needle and join if there is a drag. I have found their customer service to be very good. I broke a needle and a replacement was sent immediately. I use a 9 inch for socks, finishing with a 40 inch for magic loop for the toe.

·
Registered
217 Posts
iamjanice said:
I don't like the cables they use...the hollow plastic tubes won't let my yarn slide from one end to the other
Agreed, but this is only a minor inconvenience, and I do not mind having to set the yarn forward on the needles as I go.
The other inconvenience, which is again minor, is the fact that there is a need to watch to make sure that the tubing is not twisted too far simply because there is no built-in swivel.

Because of both my long-time absence from knitting and my very tiny budget I bought a full set from 4 through 10 all at 24."
So far, I am happy enough with these needles that I am now going back through in that same sizing range...just to have longer tubing to work with.

This additional purchase is not because of any dislike, but to add to my stock of knitting needles...and so that I can do some larger knitting projects. I will also acquire some 12" ones for knitting up some socks and gloves. I am not a fan of dpn's.

There was one issue that I found irritating, and this was having to sand the size 4 tips to eliminate a ridge where the tubing attaches...which kept stopping my yarn from sliding. Since the one adjustment...mine have all been reasonable in my 're-learning' of my long unused knitting skills and also in learning how to do lace knitting as I have worked my way through a couple of Mead's lace scarves. For my very first lace project, I felt that the Mead's lace was simple enough...even for me, and seen success in this direction. ;)

As I regain in proficiency these needles are doing quite well, and once I have a few projects under my belt...I might consider better needles, but for the money involved these needles have served me quite well and I have no qualms with using them.

As with any wooden needle tip, the initial use of wax paper rubbed on to them to get the proper glide was all that my needles actually needed. So, YES, I am very pleased with my $3.99 investment and in fact...
I have their site permanently book marked! :thumbup:

Lisa

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
For someone on a budget, they are a great buy. I've had mine for over a year now, and the joins are still secure.

BUT, no matter what I do with the tubing, it still likes to hold on to any yarn that I've used.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I received the e.knitting bamboo set of DPNs as a birthday present. I am quite pleased--my kids even sent the cloth organizer which I am enjoying. A dear friend made me an organizer years ago. It is a nice memory of her AND keeps the baskets neat but there's no more room. One can never have too much yarn or too many needles.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I got the full set of 12" and four sizes of the 9" just a couple of months ago. I didn't expect the quality to be as good as the higher end brands. If I understand right, circulars are measured from tip to tip. The 12" are measuring a tad over 13". I'm finding it hard to knit with these. It seems to me that the legs are too long. I will be buying Clover 12" today to try. I'm also not happy with the plastic tubing both the joining and the tubing itself. It smashes down flat and crimps....if this makes sense. I'm going to try the wax paper because the yarn I've tried so far will not slide on the wood. I've tried one size of the 9" and they are just OK. Same problem with the tubing but at $3.99 a piece it was worth trying before I went and bought the way more expensive brands. Hope this helps you....let me also add that I'm not pleased with their customer service. I haven't been able to talk to anyone just have to leave a message and in two months of leaving messages I still haven't gotten a response neither phone nor email.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I bought a whole set when I first started knitting I got tired of going to the store everytime I wanted to start a project and buying new needles.. so I got the 30" length and the ones I have are the hollow cable tubing but they are fine.. you have to push your stitches over the joins instead of pull them... I would think some yarns would work better than others but for me they worked just fine..
A little bees wax.. (super cheap at the hardware store) and a light buffing makes them beautiful!!!!! and the nice sharp tips are great too.. I even took a emery board and sharpened one a little for fine lace yarn.. Perfect!!! I have since gotten a little more expensive interchangable set but I reach for my e-needles all the time still... I love the range of sizes too.. my interchangables go from 4 to 11 my other set starts at 1 and goes to 15... Its been awhile since I bought them but I'm pretty sure thats the sizes.. :) either way my knitting needles inventory is pretty darn good these days... I would encourage you to go for it... they do offer smaller cables now.. since that is the only (slight)draw back to the other ones.. try those.. I think they are still a great price!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just checked the site. I am going to give it a try. They actually give a choice of regular or hollow cord. Going to try the regular cord. A dollar more; but still cheaper than others. I have purchased most of my needles at E-bay, but people are charging too much for postage now.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
Knit Picks interchangeables are reasonably priced at $60.00 for the Harmony and Sunstruck sets and $50.00 for the nickel-plated set.

I would much rather pay a few dollars more and be a needle snob than have to fight tips, shafts, joins and cables. Sometimes that minor inconvenience becomes major over time and knitting becomes less enjoyable.

Go test drive the various needles at your local yarn shops to see what works best for you. There is no one type needle that works with all yarns and situations. That's why we have so many needles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom