Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the yarn on ebay comes from.
How can I figure out what I need to make a sweater, etc?

It seems to come in only 1 ball or 2. Some wonderful cashmere, but only comes in 1 or 2 balls.

· Registered
184 Posts
TammyK is right, these vendors can represent stores, distributors and individuals from anywhere. You'll need to find out the yardage needed for your pattern and make sure what you're purchasing will be enough. Some vendors list grams but you can message them for yardage information. Hope this helps.

· Registered
453 Posts
affordableyarns is my favorite yarn seller on eBay. Just put what you want in the search field in the upper left hand area of the home page, and you will get a list of what you are looking for from various sellers.

Just read the descriptions carefully before buying. Sometimes the pictures don't accurately describe specifically what is being sold. But after 13 years of being on eBay actively, I can honestly say I have never had a bad experience.

· Registered
286 Posts
Yarnbow is another great eBay yarn vendor. You can always ask the vendor how much yardage you are getting from the auction if it doesn't say it in the description. Also, check the shipping charges before bidding/buying.

· Registered
4 Posts
As with any on-line yarn, you need to check the ounces/yardage to see if it will transfer to your pattern. It should be listed in the auction. If not, don't buy it.

Although singles in yarn are frequent sellers on ebay, you should check to see how many are available. I usually sell my ebay yarn one at time, but may have up to 10 or more available. Worsted weight yarns usually come 10 in the pack (from the distributor). Sock weight yarns usually come in 6 to a pack.
Sharon
Three Stitchers on ebay, artfire and etsy

· Registered
453 Posts
inaspintx said:
As with any on-line yarn, you need to check the ounces/yardage to see if it will transfer to your pattern. It should be listed in the auction. If not, don't buy it.

Although singles in yarn are frequent sellers on ebay, you should check to see how many are available. I usually sell my ebay yarn one at time, but may have up to 10 or more available. Worsted weight yarns usually come 10 in the pack (from the distributor). Sock weight yarns usually come in 6 to a pack.
Sharon
Three Stitchers on ebay, artfire and etsy
What is your user name on ebay? Three Stitchers? Space between the two words?

· Registered
671 Posts
I also keep an eye on the ratings %, if it is too low in the 90's I check out what problems might have occurred with that vendor. But, always use your own judgment, some people complain about the darnest things you can imagine. I've gotten great stuff on e-Bay, at the cost on gas now, it beats driving to town and when I get my order, it's like Christmas!!

· Registered
453 Posts
Irish Lori said:
I also keep an eye on the ratings %, if it is too low in the 90's I check out what problems might have occurred with that vendor. But, always use your own judgment, some people complain about the darnest things you can imagine. I've gotten great stuff on e-Bay, at the cost on gas now, it beats driving to town and when I get my order, it's like Christmas!!
Good point about the feedback ratings. I am not as nice as Lori - for me to buy the feedback has to be 99% or 100%. I'm mean that way! :)

· Registered
490 Posts
I found 4 skeins of really pretty cotton yarn for $5 on ebay. I didn't notice when I ordered that it came from Turkey. The yarn is beautiful and I will use it. I received it in about 3 days-- but shipping cost more than the yarn! :oops:

· Registered
453 Posts
centrevillevirginian said:
I'm wondering if the ebay seller would know what a dye lot is. You could ask. Technically, I don't always be concerned about dye lots. It depends on the project.
I like to buy from a seller who specializes in yarn. Those folks know all about dye lots, and will specify in the description if there is any variation.

· Registered
697 Posts
Have you tried AMazon.com? I got some beautiful yarn from there, and generally you can order as much as you need and want. The prices are pretty good and postage isn't bad either.

· Registered
671 Posts
I've found most e-Bay sellers knowledgeable, or they admit they are not, but they try their best, they want good feedback, and if you are not happy you don't give it. And, most all purchases are covered by e-Bay's guarantee, you get your money back. I've only had one problem and that was handled very quickly by e-Bay.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom