Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading where a lot of you ladies s1 to have a nice clean edge for the mattress stitch, I decided to give it a try. However, after a few rows, my edge stitchs seem to be quite large and very loose. Is there a trick to keep the stitches normal in size? Thanks for any help you can give me. Milly

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Hmm, we can't know how loose and large your stitches are with no picture, but the edge stitch includes 2 rows when done like... end stitch, it is not the same size as the rest of the stitches.
But it looks to me you will end up with a "twisted-ending" like that... Ant that sometimes looks... well, a little ... wavy? Not very smooth, anyway.

One way of creating a nice edging is if you do not work your last stitch of each row, no matter knitted or purled), live the thread behind your work, turn and work the first stitch as twist-knitted.

The other way is to purl your last stitch (again, no matter what the rest of the row is), turn and on the next row slip it knit-wise, not purl-wise. This way your end stitch should look like crocheted cable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HandyFamily said:
Hmm, we can't know how loose and large your stitches are with no picture, but the edge stitch includes 2 rows when done like... end stitch, it is not the same size as the rest of the stitches.
But it looks to me you will end up with a "twisted-ending" like that... Ant that sometimes looks... well, a little ... wavy? Not very smooth, anyway.

One way of creating a nice edging is if you do not work your last stitch of each row, no matter knitted or purled), live the thread behind your work, turn and work the first stitch as twist-knitted.

The other way is to purl your last stitch (again, no matter what the rest of the row is), turn and on the next row slip it knit-wise, not purl-wise. This way your end stitch should look like crocheted cable.
Thank you, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I'm interested in understanding the results of this technique too. Help me to understand what it will look like. If you slip the first stitch the yarn gets left behind, then if you work the second stitch the left behind yarn is picked up. Will this leave a first stitch that is unworked and will the yarn that you are knitting with leave a straight unhooked piece from the unworked yarn. Boy this is hard to write about. Not sure I'm making any sense. The bottom line is that there is a stitch that is not worked into the starting yarn. :( ??

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have always slipped the first stitch except for the very first row, I always slip it knit wise whatever the rest of the row will be. It is then knitted on the next row when you knit back as it is then the last stitch in the row. It makes the edges very neat with no loopy bits and it's then easier to sew up or pick up stitches if you need to. I agree with MacRae, it's really hard to put into words for a very simple thing I will try and add a picture to show what it looks like but the best way is maybe to do a trial swatch, cast on say 10 sts and knit a few rows slipping the 1st st on each row. Hope this helps

·
Registered
139 Posts
fatkitty said:
I have always slipped the first stitch except for the very first row, I always slip it knit wise whatever the rest of the row will be. It is then knitted on the next row when you knit back as it is then the last stitch in the row. It makes the edges very neat with no loopy bits and it's then easier to sew up or pick up stitches if you need to. I agree with MacRae, it's really hard to put into words for a very simple thing I will try and add a picture to show what it looks like but the best way is maybe to do a trial swatch, cast on say 10 sts and knit a few rows slipping the 1st st on each row. Hope this helps
I knit exactly the same way ever since I started knitting more than 40 years ago . It makes a very neat edge for sewing up or pick up stitches ( which by the way , I use a crochet hook to do ) But lately I also saw on ' knitting tips by Judy ' that you knit to the back of the last stitch and slip the first stitch knitwise on the next row. I will try this method next time I knit ;-) good luck
:wink:

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
fatkitty said:
Fat Kitty, talk to me about bringing the yarn along when slipping. Do you need to be careful with the tension as it is not part of the slipped stitch?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I slip the first stitch as if to purl it, and it works perfect however then I knit to the end and coming back slip again and it does not look as nice. Now I will try finishing the row by going in the back of the stitch, and then slip the stitch coming back. Thank you

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hi MacRae
I have never worried about the tension on this although you wouldn't want to pull it really tight, just knit as you would normally do? There are some examples on utube if you google it or this one explains things better than I can
Good luck x

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
michiganmilly said:
After reading where a lot of you ladies s1 to have a nice clean edge for the mattress stitch, I decided to give it a try. However, after a few rows, my edge stitchs seem to be quite large and very loose. Is there a trick to keep the stitches normal in size? Thanks for any help you can give me. Milly
If you want to work Mattress Stitch, it is better if you do not do the SL ST.
The first stitch of each row is only knitted on alternate rows so makes a long loop which makes a gappy seam.
I prefer to have all stitches worked on every row so it is easier to work a neat Mattress Stitich seam.
Have fun.
Colleen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aggie May said:
michiganmilly said:
If you want to work Mattress Stitch, it is better if you do not do the SL ST.
The first stitch of each row is only knitted on alternate rows so makes a long loop which makes a gappy seam.
I prefer to have all stitches worked on every row so it is easier to work a neat Mattress Stitich seam.
Have fun.
Colleen.
Thank you, Colleen, I didn't realize that that unknitted stitch was what was causing the loose stitches. I'm going to go back to knitting all stitches. Milly

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
michiganmilly said:
I usually knit the first & last stitch on the purl row makes for a neater edge also makes it easier to count rows & sew up. Good luck

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
As ever, there is no right or wrong, just what works for you I'm all for trying new things but at the end of the day I think you keep what works and discard what doesn't and hopefully learn something new as you go. Happy knitting!

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
MacRae said:
I'm interested in understanding the results of this technique too. Help me to understand what it will look like. If you slip the first stitch the yarn gets left behind, then if you work the second stitch the left behind yarn is picked up. Will this leave a first stitch that is unworked and will the yarn that you are knitting with leave a straight unhooked piece from the unworked yarn. Boy this is hard to write about. Not sure I'm making any sense. The bottom line is that there is a stitch that is not worked into the starting yarn. :( ??
Don't worry, it won't look like you are caring a thread of yarn behind the work, if that is your concern.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Maxine R said:
michiganmilly said:
I usually knit the first & last stitch on the purl row makes for a neater edge also makes it easier to count rows & sew up. Good luck
so do I.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom