Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the height of the awards season, this weekend the BAFTAs get handed out in London a fortnight ahead of the Oscars in Hollywood. So will it be a return to the silent era with The Artist scooping up the prizes? With an eight hour time difference between Los Angeles and London, we're usually watching the post Oscar ceremony interviews over breakfast, so I've designed a special Bow Tie in a Film Frame egg cosy to go with them!

A Night at the Movies Egg Cosy

Materials:
DK weight yarn in Yellow, Black and White
Pair 4mm (US size 6) needles
4 yarn bobbins wound: 2 yellow, one black and one white
Darning needle

Tension/Gauge:
22 stitches and 28 rows over 4"/10cms in stocking stitch

Abbreviations:
Y: Yellow yarn
B: Black yarn
W: White yarn
K: Knit
P: Purl
K2tog: Knit the next two stitches together

Instructions:

The central 'Film Frame' is worked as a fair isle motif and set into the cosy using the intarsia technique. Make sure you twist yarns at edges of motif to avoid holes and also catch yarn not in use when it is carried across back of central panel, so as to avoid hanging loops.

With yellow yarn cast on 39 stitches.
Rows 1 and 3: P1, (K1, P1) to end
Rows 2 and 4: K1, (P1, K1) to end
Row 5: With Yellow: K9, join Black: K21, join second ball of Yellow: K9
Row 6: Y: P9, B: P1, Y: P1, B: P1, join White: P15, B: P1, Y: P1, B: P1, Y: P9
Row 7: Y: K9, B: K3, W: K2, B: K2, W: K7, B: K2, W: K2, B: K3, Y: K9
Row 8: Y: P9, B: P3, W: P2, B: P3, W: P5, B: P3, W: P2, B: P3, Y: P9
Row 9: Y: K9, B: K1, Y: K1, B: K1, W: K2, B: K4, W: K3, B: K4, W: K2, B: K1, Y: K1, B: K1 Y: K9
Row 10: Y: P9, B: P3, W: P2, B: P11, W: P2, B: P3, Y: P9
Row 11: Y: K9, B: K3, W: K2, B: K11, W: K2, B: K3, Y: K9
Row 12: Y: P9, B: P1, Y: P1, B: P1, W: P2, B: P4, W: P3, B: P4, W: P2, B: P1, Y: P1, B: P1 Y: P9
Row 13: Y: K9, B: K3, W: K2, B: K3, W: K5, B: K3, W: K2, B: K3, Y: K9
Row 14: Y: P9, B: P3, W: P2, B: P2, W: P7, B: P2, W: P2, B: P3, Y: P9
Row 15: Y: K9, B: K1, Y: K1, B: K1, W: K15, B: K1, Y: K1, B: K1, Y: K9
Row 16: Y: P9, B: P21, Y: P9
Break all yarns except for original ball of yellow, leaving about 4" to weave in securely
Row 17: (K1, K2tog) 13 times (26 stitches)
Row 18: Purl
Row 19: K2tog, (K1, K2tog) 8 times (17 stitches)
Row 20: Purl
Row 21: K2tog, (K1, K2tog) 5 times (11 stitches)
Row 22: Purl
Row 23: (K2tog) 5 times, K1 (6 stitches)
Row 24: Purl
Row 25: (K2tog) 3 times (3 stitches)
Break yarn and thread end through these 3 stitches and pull them tight.

Finishing
Stitch up sides taking care to align stripes and weave in ends.

There's a slightly smaller vesion of the motif on a napkin ring at:

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-60627-1.html

Have fun!
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Don't know if I have ever mentioned that my son-in-law is an actor. My one daughter is an excellent actress, but no longer able to do much because of her flying schedule. Both of the GD's also act. In fact, we have a play coming up in a couple weeks. They are also being considered for an upcoming movie... The other daughter is a stage manager and does costumes and props as well. This design is a MUST for the gang. (Only problem, the SIL only eats scrambled eggs..... but I may just dress the Easter eggs for a change of pace.) Love it....

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dreamweaver said:
Don't know if I have ever mentioned that my son-in-law is an actor. My one daughter is an excellent actress, but no longer able to do much because of her flying schedule. Both of the GD's also act. In fact, we have a play coming up in a couple weeks. They are also being considered for an upcoming movie... The other daughter is a stage manager and does costumes and props as well. This design is a MUST for the gang. (Only problem, the SIL only eats scrambled eggs..... but I may just dress the Easter eggs for a change of pace.) Love it....
Glad you like my design, that's a full set you'll be needing then! You can always make the napkin ring for your SIL:

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-60627-1.html

Good job they knit up quickly!

Dave

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
amudaus said:
I love this one,you really are one clever chappie,thank-you Dave.
Thank you so much, really appropriate this morning to celebrate the success of The Artist in black and white! Of course, in England, the post-Oscar interviews are all at breakfast, so I usually have a small party, luckily this one is very quick to make!

Dave

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LesleighAnne said:
Wonderful Dave

As soon as I saw it I thought of a jump with the design on at the neckline. If turtle necks came back in it would look supurb on the neck.

LesleighAnne
That's a nice idea, I'm always happy when my little motifs get used on other things, it might also work on a headband.

Dave

·
Registered
635 Posts
FireballDave said:
LesleighAnne said:
Wonderful Dave

As soon as I saw it I thought of a jump with the design on at the neckline. If turtle necks came back in it would look supurb on the neck.

LesleighAnne
That's a nice idea, I'm always happy when my little motifs get used on other things, it might also work on a headband.

Dave
It wasn't all my idea. Some years back I and some friends sailed a catarmaran to Noumea and back. The captain put the two most likely to play up on bar duties. Only to be open at certain times. It is a bit embarassing but one of them was my DH. Any way so they would look like real bar tenders they drew a black tie and shirt front on a plain white t-shirt. That is where my idea came from.

LesleighAnne

PS It did not stop them from playing up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom