Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know who Elizabeth Zimmerman is and have you read any of her books on knitting? I just got her first one and found a lot of great information in it. I've been knitting for a long time. Feel like a new knitter. Lol

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
She wrote a number of books. Is it "Knitting without Tears"? That's the first one I read. She was one of the first to advocate seamless knitting, and her books and ideas have continued to inspire and encourage knitters. Her daughter, Meg Swansen, has carried on the family tradition. Schoolhouse Press carries her patterns, yarns, etc., As well as the books. You can find them on Amazon, also.
You can google Elizabeth Zimmerman, too.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I am a big EZ fan. Have three of her books and several patterns from School House Press. When I have a question about a project I am planning, I can almost always find an answer in her books. Very relevant for my purposes.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
She was a knitting legend...read everything she wrote and check out the Baby Surprise Jacket fondly nicknamed the BSJ :sm01:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Elizabeth also has a book called Knitters (or knitting) Almanac. This book was out of print, but my library had it...thought of doing a project a moth type deal with it. She was an amazing knitter and designer!!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
In the 1950's when television was in its infancy, Elizabeth Zimmermann was on the Milwaukee Public Broadcasting TV station with a program about knitting. I saw her there because we were lucky enough to have one of the first TV's in our neighborhood and I loved knitting all my life. I bought every book she published and used her techniques. In the 1980's I had a yarn shop and she was scheduled to have a seminar in Fond du Lac. My shop helper and I drove there, less than 30 miles from West Bend and met her in person. We discussed different knitting methods and one of the women who grew up in Greece showed her how she learned to knit. the yarn was wrapped around her neck, similar to the Portuguese style, and Elizabeth had to try it. She was as gracious as she is in her books.
Her last book, Knitting Around, is an autobiography with pictures of her life and some of her drawings. She was also an artist. Getting acquainted with her through her books is an experience all knitters should have.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom