Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes I used to do a lot of embroidery when younger. All young girls were taught. Now I am making a afghan for my daughter that has the outline of cats, and yarn balls on it. Afghan stitch, which will take a while to complete. As for embroidery did a lot of counted cross stitch, hardunger crewel. Now the eyes are to old even with a magnifying glass around my neck, and they seem to complicated these days. But you enjoy, and show us your projects when finished. doris

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I've done embroidery, needlepoint and cross-stitch a LOT. I enjoy knitting lately because it's easier for me to see. Am working on a Klimt needlepoint piece and some miniature Native American rug designs in counted cross stitch. Some ornaments too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I used to do embroidery, got into doing a kantha quilt which is the indian method making quilts out of old saris cut up and quilted together and then embroidered on the top. May get back into it again as its easier on my hands than knit and crochet. What do you embroider?

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
I have some UFO right now of embroidery and tatting projects. Sometimes I just forget I am working on them.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The picture above is one that I did years ago. Can't remember having that much patience. The worst memory I have is all the french knots. My finger was bleeding. I don't use a thimble.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I also embroider, I have two aprons, a table runner and a third apron in the process, these will be Christmas gifts, I also enjoy ribbon embroidery. I also do cross stitch, Swedish weaving, and crewel. I quilt and crochet too...and knit, depending on my mood.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I do! I did two years' apprenticeship at the Royal School of Needlework but unfortunately couldn't get a job doing anything like that when the apprenticeship finished. I don't have time to do embroidery at the moment - too busy trying to earn a living - but hope to get back to it one day.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
I did a lot as a teenager, then boys came along! My aunts did beautiful embroidery and I wanted to copy them. The things they made were chair backs and tray clothes. Neither of which are fashionable these days. Although I haven't done it for years I have kept the embroidery silks, and a couple of cushion covers which were never finished. Just waiting for it to come back into fashion.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I also enjoy embroidery and love counted cross stitch. I try to put the knitting down every now and then and get on with some cross stitch. I have always admired ribbon embroidery but have never done any myself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I.ve done loads of embroidery counted cross stitch ect over the years much of which is framed in the homes of family and over time I spent more time knitting but have now started again making small items for a friend;s craft work.Does anyone remember the old iron on transfers? I found some in with my silk stash

·
Registered
829 Posts
When I was younger, I embroidered many doilies etc for my "glory box". It's hard to find any old fashioned doilies and centres to embroider these days. Here in Australia, long stitch and cross stitch are the only patterns available. I don't know if my eyes are up to it nowdays.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I remember the old iron on transfers. They came with every Work Basket magazine. I have a few. I went through a spell, when all I was doing, was Spanish Black Work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom