Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I've had an ongoing project in crochet. I keep adding to a "magic ball" of yarn and am doing a double strand crocheted afghan. I hold my hook like a knife and notice that my thumb gets numb after working on the afghan for an hour or so. It seems to happen any time I crochet for any length of time. My thumb presses on the raised numbers on the aluminum hook. I was wondering about ergonomic hooks or the slip on sleeve that goes over the hook. I would appreciate any feedback from others regarding their experience with ergonomic hooks or some other alternatives. Thank you in advance of your reply.

I changed to the Clover Soft Touch and love them. I also had to learn to not hold the hook so tight. I use to hold it way too tight. Not sure why, but I have finally learned to hold it very loosely and it makes a big difference.

I LOVE LOVE the Clover hooks. Gold color, nice thumb print.
And no aches or pains in my hands when I use them.
Got them at Joann;s, used coupons for 50% off so it took a few weeks to get the set.
I recommend them
Linda

aihanako said:
right,me too.I still can't hold the hook any looser.How did you start holding it looser?
Lots of talking to myself and watching myself, as soon as I did not pay attention, I would get that tight grip again. Just have to do it until it becomes habit, keep watching yourself, it really helps.

Love the Clover Soft Touch crochet hooks. I bought a set for myself and my hairdresser, who is also a close friend. She'd had to give up crocheting because it hurt her hands. One of her clients tried the hooks, and suggested my friend try them--she felt the hooks would keep her hands from hurting. My friend bought a couple of the Soft Touch hooks, loved them, then told me about them. I fell in love with them, and found a set of 8 hooks on Overstock. Also bought a set for my friend, and she was thrilled. My friend is back to crocheting--so it was money well-spent!
Blessings and hugs,
Shirley

The Crochet Dude has some new crochet hooks just out. They are available in both steel and aluminum and have a rubber covered handle. They're very cushioned and nonslip. Not all the stores have them yet, and the one I found nearly sold out almost immediately, so you may have to loik a bit.

Mostly, I knit, but I use hooks for repairing mistakes and for knitting edgings, so you crocheters will have to let me know if they're as good for crocheters as I think they are. I'm impressed with them.

I hope this helps.

I love the Clover soft touch...have used them since the day I saw them in a catalog..bought all of them offered from B thru K. Now I find I can not use the regular hooks. I have arthritis in my fingers and thumbs and would have had to stop crocheting without these wonderful hooks. No problems with hands, fingers or thumbs since changing over to Clover soft touch hooks.

I have a whole set of interchangeables that I bought and would gladly chuck them in the Sound, I hate them.

The main problem is I hold my hook like a pencil and these things are for those who hold them in their palms.

Stablebummom said:
The ergonomic hooks are super!
I have been wondering if these work with either type of hold -- I hold my hook like a pencil - I've noticed that it is my wrist movement that tires me -- this doesn't happen at all with knitting. I just ordered my first wooden hook to see if I like that -- but I'm open for trying some new things. I don't hold my hook tightly so that is not the problem.

yes the sleeves work before they had them I was having difficulty and put a piece of sticky back velcro female side on the needle and it helped tremendously when the sleeves came out it was so much easier than cutting a piece of the velcro the cushioning effect is so nice

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom