Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Son has a large head. I measured 25 inches and he told me that was a snug fit, by the tape measure. I am stumped since none of my hat patterns are for a hat that size. I am not looking for a free pattern. I would like to know if you have any suggestions for # of cast on stitches. #4 (Knitting Worsted) Then I will knit k2 p2 for 2 1/2 inches. When I get to the crown how do I decrease?????? Or if anyone has a suggestion telling me where I can purchase a pattern I would apppreciate it..........Marie in TN

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
For a 22" approximate head size I would normally cast on 96 stitches on a size 7US needle using worsted weight. So, for one about 25" I think I would add about 12 stitches to that for a total of 108 stitches. You don't say what type of hat you want to make but if it's a beanie type (not a folded up brim) I would knit to maybe 9" or so and then start my decreases. I'd start with knit 10 then knit 2 together for the first round. Then knit 9 then knit 2 together for the 2nd round. Continue decreasing in that manner for every round til you get down to 5-6 stitches then thread the yarn through a needle and pull it through the remaining stitches and fasten underneath.

Does that help?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom