Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've knit through 3 skeins of beautiful Borroco Satin yarn. Center pull ... only a little expected barf ... until ...

Skein #4. New color. Found the center pull end. Began to knit, then after about 2 hours of knitting...the strand stuck...tug, tug more ... the entire skein turned inside out. What a mess! Took me another hour to untangle and rewind on my ball winder. Had to cut it twice because of impossible knotting.

I have 8 more skeins to go, I hope I don't have to go through this with all of them. :x

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Maybe you should wind them....I have done this before by using the outside strand and just letting the skein hang down and twist as it chooses. I hate yarn barf on a pull skein and besides the fact that I love to wind yarn on my knitpicks winder, I wouldn't take the chance. Yes, it doesn't take much to amaze...can be entertained for a while with winding skeins. Just kidding, but really it is fun. Hahaha LOL

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tend to like the twist of the yarn coming from the inside of the skein than from the outside....as well as not liking it rolling around on a dirty floor. Since the twist is there for a reason, I like the inside pull. I've NEVER had this bad a problem with the inside pull before. But I do think I should get the prize for turning a skein inside out in one yank!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
headlemk said:
I tend to like the twist of the yarn coming from the inside of the skein than from the outside....as well as not liking it rolling around on a dirty floor. Since the twist is there for a reason, I like the inside pull. I've NEVER had this bad a problem with the inside pull before. But I do think I should get the prize for turning a skein inside out in one yank!
When I have to knit outside pull, I put the yarn in a large vase so it doesn't roll on the floor. It sits nicely beside my chair. I need a ball winder.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think I would contact the manufacturer and let them know. Tell them you are not happy with the product. I did that with red heart because I had two of their large ball where I couldn't find a center pull. Told them I wouldn't be buying their product anymore if it was going to be like this. They ended up sending me two balls of yarn for the inconvenience.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You could try a free standing toilet roll holder to hold your yarn and it will stay clean off of the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
I am so tired of yarn vomit. Yesterday I was trying to find the yarn end inside the skein of Lion Brand cotton yarn. I ended pulling out quite a gob of tangled yarn. I was going to try to rewind it from the outside yarn end, but it had somehow ended up in the tangled mess. I ended up with the whole skein being a tangled mess. It took me over two hours to untangle it. Two hours that I could have been working on my project. I am going to write Lion Brand another letter. I have contacted them about this before by email. I recommend everyone who has this problem to write the yarn manufacturer with the simple solution of either taping or stapling the inside yarn end of a pull skein to the outside label of the yarn. They used to do this many years ago (I have been knitting for over 50 years). The yarn companies need to take the responsibility of keeping their customers happy. If everyone would do this and they received mass letters, I'll bet they would solve the problem.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Please write the yarn manufacturer about the problem and to please tape or staple the inside yarn end to the outside label like they used to do years ago. If they get enough letters, maybe they will correct the problem.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
headlemk said:
I like to put my yarn skein or ball or hank or whatever into a zipper lock plastic baggie. I zip it partly closed so I can pull the yarn off and it keeps the yarn from traveling, tangling or getting dirty. I can pick it up and go with it, and if I'm knitting along while waiting somewhere it's so easy (and SAFE) to put my needles with the project on them into the bag and zip it shut, knowing they won't slip around and lose stitches when my name is called. The larger the project, the larger the bag I use. Of course, you couldn't put a whole afghan or something huge into the bag with the yarn, but I still would keep my yarn that way.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It was just the one skein. I have to start another one soon. We shall see. If I wrote Bernat and told them and they sent me a replacement skein, I'd just have to pay a 60+% customs upcharge just to get it from my mailbox. Wouldn't be worth the cost.

I actually don't mind untangling yarn. Just helped a friend this morning. I was just astonished with the inside-out event.

I really really don't like to unwind from the outside of a skein. I'd rather rewind a whole center pull skein into a center pull cake with my yarn winder 1st.

I have several different items that I used to keep my yarn clean and "unfettered" including a beautiful wooden yarn bowl that my DH made for me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom