Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thank you to you lovely ladies on here for your praise of my knitting my mother taught me to knit when I was two years old as I had very poor eyesight and it was something you can do by feel. My darling daughter does all my sewing up for me and checks they are alright to sell. have knitted for all her friends and their children as well as my grandkids so am never short of something to do

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
Great that you have a daughter that knows how to sew them all together. Mine have problems with their shoe lace.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Knitting is my life and now that my eyesight is failing I'm glad I learned to knit without watching my hands unless the pattern is really complicated. A friend's sister is blind and I watched her knit once and decided that if she can do it then I can continue too. Hopefully there will be a lot of years left in my fingers.

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
tammyinwv said:
I admire you being able to knit by feel. There is no way I could do that. Also my monitor is a little dark, but your kitty looks like my daughters Himalayan. Here he is :
http://tammyinwv.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-daughters-himalayan-hurley.html

Tammy
He looks like my cat. She is 90% Hymilian. Found her as a stray when she was about 4 weeks old under my x-husband's trailer he lived in amongst 3 litters of kittens she did not like any of them at all. She is a great cat. Very easy going and such a little lover. Tolerates my Samatha (Jack Russell/Rat Terrier mix. She teases Jasamine so much and hse just takes it.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
tammyinwv said:
I admire you being able to knit by feel. There is no way I could do that. Also my monitor is a little dark, but your kitty looks like my daughters Himalayan. Here he is :
http://tammyinwv.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-daughters-himalayan-hurley.html

Tammy
He looks like my cat. She is 90% Hymilian. Found her as a stray when she was about 4 weeks old under my x-husband's trailer he lived in amongst 3 litters of kittens she did not like any of them at all. She is a great cat. Very easy going and such a little lover. Tolerates my Samatha (Jack Russell/Rat Terrier mix. She teases Jasamine so much and she just takes it.

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
insanitynz said:
thank you to you lovely ladies on here for your praise of my knitting my mother taught me to knit when I was two years old as I had very poor eyesight and it was something you can do by feel. My darling daughter does all my sewing up for me and checks they are alright to sell. have knitted for all her friends and their children as well as my grandkids so am never short of something to do
Dear insanitynz, did you post your work? Because I have certainly missed it if you did! may be you could tell me how to find the posting. What a wise mum you had! Hope you are surviving the heat well! lol myfanwy.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If no one sees, they do not know what they are missing. You learn a way of doing things just like the sighted do, but in a way that fits you. I taught my sons girlfriend to knit and she can hardly see. But she does such good work. The doctor says she will be blind in 10 years time. (yea, right...when my son was 7, they said he would be deaf in 3 years. It is 22 years later, and NOW he is deaf.) Marie picked up such amazing knitting skills with just her feel. I teach her a new stitch, and two weeks later when I see her, she has done even more than I taught her.

My ex brother in law had a detached retina. He had to lay on his stomach for months. But he had to keep his eye muscles working. He would lay on the bed with his head down and arms hanging knitting. If the eye strain got too much, he would close his eyes and knit. His work is to die for. (He is fine now, and still knits)

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Have any on you read the LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE books? I don't count the TV series because a lot on there is just fiction.

Well, anyway, Mary, the older sister became blind due to a bout of scarlet fever. She went to a special school for the blind, and one of the skills she learned there was to knit! From the books, I found out she knit very well! (Unlike the series, she did not marry.)

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
CathyAnn said:
Have any on you read the LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE books? I don't count the TV series because a lot on there is just fiction.

Well, anyway, Mary, the older sister became blind due to a bout of scarlet fever. She went to a special school for the blind, and one of the skills she learned there was to knit! From the books, I found out she knit very well! (Unlike the series, she did not marry.)
read them all aloud, twice to my younger daughter Bronwen!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wish the KP site had a LIKE button. I Like all that has been aid by all and it helps some of us that can see well to be THANKFUL!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom