Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both of these projects coming up on my list. Both are done in garter stitch, of which I am not overly fond. Has anyone done either or both in stockinette? How did it go? Are there any drawbacks or hints I should know about before I dive in?

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Go to ravelry.com and look up both. You'll be able to see others who made them and search for st.st versions and see any notes the knitter made reference to.

I know I've seen notes/etc on the BSJ in st st.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Guage! The row guage in garter stitch is the same as the stitch guage. In stockinette, there are more rows per inch than stitches per inch. A worsted weight yarn on a size 7 needle usually knits up at 5 stitches per inch but 7 rows per inch. This could make figuring out where to make the decreases very tricky. Sometimes you would need to make them on the knit side, other times on the purl side. I think I would prefer the SJ made in a very drapey yarn so the fit would not be so boxey.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
The Wingspan Scarf is reversible in garter stitch and would not be in stocking stitch. I have never knitted the BSJ but I think you would lose the effect in stocking stitch.

This is the first of a series of videos on knitting the BSJ.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
There are several wingspans on KP, and there are lots on the Ravelry page. Looking at others' work helped me know what colors I prefered for my own, but the knitters also give hints about making the shawl.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I've made 3 wingspan. The first one I used Zauberball sock yarn and followed the pattern. For me the shawl was too short, I wanted more length.
The next two I made using Noro Silk Garden and instead of making 8 triangles, I made 10. I also used size 6 beads and did a beaded bind off at the neck edge. I love them both, wear them often and get lots of compliments.
I understand your not being fond of the garter stitch, but for the Wingspan it works perfectly, as does the Noro Silk Garden yarn.
Good Luck, and don't forget to show us pictures please! :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
momanna said:
If you made the Wingspan in Stockinette you would have a whole lot of curling going on. I would suggest another pattern, such as Spectra by Stephen West. This will give you a similar look.
I have to admit that I hadn't thought about the curling issue. I very specifically want to do wingspan, so I will probably just suck it up and do garter stitch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Jamie, the garter stitch in EZ's BSJ allows some ease or stretch so that a child can get more than one year's wear. With the adult version I'd think it would be a personal preference regarding ease and stretch...may be necessary, may not be. Having made the baby version I would suggest that you consider the increases and decreases used in the original pattern so that they are uniform. They don't show up in garter, but they are more likely obvious in stockinette.

You have received a lot of advice regarding the Wingspan, so I'll just add that I love the reversible nature of the design in garter stitch. I believe the lace version has some edge stitches added to avoid curling, but I could be mistaken about that point. You also have short rows in the Wingspan and there has been a lot of discussion about the "gap" created by not adding a wrapped stitch to the mix to hide the gap. If you do this in stockinette, you will need to consider how you want to work the short rows. I knit the pattern as written and had no problems with it...the "gaps" are simply a design element in my opinion, not a problem. Whatever you decide to do, I certainly hope you enjoy knitting these two pieces as much as I did.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I think that if you wanted to mix it up with the wingspan that would work.. when I was knitting mine I felt like it was a basic pattern that could be used with different stitches.. you might want to chart out a triangle so you would be able to stay in pattern with the short rows but its definatly doable... I kinda thought a ribbed pattern would look nice and be fairly easy to do... just sit down one evening and play with the pattern and see what you can come up with...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom