Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite type of hat to knit flat or with circular needles and why is it your favorite method. I am in the process of learning both methods and just wondering if one is more attractive then the other. so far I have discovered that stitching with the circulars is very tight spaced and is easier to do it on the flat method but seaming it ups so far has not been quite as successfull as I would like it too be so the circulars probably win out for that reason. How do you all feel about it? and what is your favorite pattern to use?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
cbjlinda said:
What is your favorite type of hat to knit flat or with circular needles and why is it your favorite method. I am in the process of learning both methods and just wondering if one is more attractive then the other. so far I have discovered that stitching with the circulars is very tight spaced and is easier to do it on the flat method but seaming it ups so far has not been quite as successfull as I would like it too be so the circulars probably win out for that reason. How do you all feel about it? and what is your favorite pattern to use?
Well, personally, I prefer two needle; it's so much faster for me and I don't mind the seaming. My seaming, fortunately, is a method I 'discovered' that isn't visible. Don't know a name for it but it works for me. Most of the hats I do are for charity and speed is a factor in being able to do more.

I think everyone should use whatever method works for them.

:) :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
cbjlinda said:
I use circular needles from the bottom up (I tend to be a bit tight with cast off, and this prevents the bottom edge from being too small), switching to dpns for the last few decrease rounds. If you feel it's too tight stitch-wise, try going up a needle size OR make a swatch on dpns first to see how many stitches per inch you get. I sat down a while back and did gauges for various sized needles and yarns and made a chart so I have an idea of how many stitches to start with, depending on the size hat I want. Most of the patterns I use are my own--I start with ribbing or garter stitch around the bottom edge, find a stitch I like that fits into the stitch count, and just work up until it's long enough, but there are loads of patterns out there you can choose from.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I don't have a favorite hat pattern either, but I knit hats on 2 circulars. I have found that I don't need to switch to dpns for the decreases as the 2 circs handle the decreases just fine even down to 2 stitches. And the added bonus of not seaming, I am not very good at seaming, so therefore, I don't like to seam.

·
Registered
14 Posts
SilverWeb said:
I don't have a favorite hat pattern either, but I knit hats on 2 circulars. I have found that I don't need to switch to dpns for the decreases as the 2 circs handle the decreases just fine even down to 2 stitches. And the added bonus of not seaming, I am not very good at seaming, so therefore, I don't like to seam.
Thats one of my favorites for knitting in the round. Its explained really well in Loani Prior's book "really wild tea cosies" and theres also a Cat Bordhi lesson "knitting on 2 circular needles" on youtube.

·
Registered
797 Posts
SilverWeb said:
Me too!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Vogue Knitting has one hat pattern for a flat hat. It really turns out nice, even with sewing up. (I used that pattern for every hat until I got my nerve up to use circular and double points.)

Now I knit all my hats in the round and love it.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Colorado knits said:
I don't have a favorite hat pattern, but I prefer to use circulars and then switch to DPNs when I have decreased enough that the stitches no longer fit on the circulars.
I do the same. For sensitive heads, such as those going through chemo or babies, it is better not to have a seam.

I use many different patterns to keep it interesting and to learn new stitches.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I like using circular needles for hats and finishing with DPNs because I don't have to seam. Personal preference. My current favorite pattern is Holly Priestley's Super Slouchy Beanie with Pom Pom available on Ravelry. It knits up fast on size 9 circs with bulky yarn. I've been leaving the pom pom off due to wearer preference. :D

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
cbjlinda said:
I am a "Flat & Sew" sort of person.
I do not enjoy knitting in the round and so not mind sewing a seam when I am done and I always know where the end of my rows are.
Learn to sew using Mattress Stitch and your seam will be invisible from the outside.
When I have finished my shaping, I Cast Off working 2TOG as I go, on the last row, then I break/cut off the yarn leaving enough to stitch the seam.
Mattress Stitch is worked from the right side so you can easily match up stripes or other pattern features as you go.
Have fun and work your hats whichever way you like the best.

Colleen.
PS, While I do not knit in the round, I always use Circular needles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good morning what a crispy morning,
I tried both flat and circular needle for hat and my own opinion best to work with circular needle. My own personal reason as the is no sewing tog and the bulk on back of the head wearing the hat... Circular needle is wonderful as the hat can be reverseable and many hats I have made been sold by people...
Go for the new challenage and use ya creative in making the hats in with circular needles.....
Enjoy every moment...... MJ Bouchard

·
Registered
295 Posts
Flat does seem to knit up faster then comes the dreaded seaming up! I admire and envy anyone who can turn out an invisible seam! I have watched videos and just can't seem to recreate the mattress stitch.....For that reason, I prefer to use the Magic Loop. I have never tried 2 circular needles, I need to look into that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For hats: I love my circular needles. Why, you ask. Because I HATE the finishing type work of sewing flat pieces together.

With curcular needles, which then switch to dpn's, when you do the last stich, you just have that last piece of yarn to work in and it is ready to wear.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom