Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I usually design my own using Designaknit. I get inspiration from looking at knitwear shown in online stores.

That said, I am currently knitting this free pattern I found on the web (In the Pink). It's a handknitting pattern which I have converted to knit on my mid-gauge. It's in double-knit (8ply?) cotton yarn.

I've also knitted the hooded sweater, also a free pattern found on the web.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
ValT said:
I usually design my own using Designaknit. I get inspiration from looking at knitwear shown in online stores.

That said, I am currently knitting this free pattern I found on the web (In the Pink). It's a handknitting pattern which I have converted to knit on my mid-gauge. It's in double-knit (8ply?) cotton yarn.

Hi love the pink jacket. May I be cheeky and ask you to put the rest of the pattern on? Many thanks

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
FredaD said:
ValT said:

Hi love the pink jacket. May I be cheeky and ask you to put the rest of the pattern on? Many thanks
she probably can't post the rest of the pattern as that would be copywrite infringement but she did give you the place it can be found for free.!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
ValT said:

Thank you for the pink sweater pattern. I have a Bond Ultimate Sweater machine. That collar is great.

How do we change needle sizes? By changing the templates? I don't have punch-cards.

Where do we see the Design-a-knit tool?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
carolyn tolo said:
ValT said:

Dear Carolyn

I am not sure about changing tension of a USM. Perhaps you can post a query on this site. I shall look out for it - it's always good to know this sort of thing.

Do a tension swatch with the yarn you are intending to use.

On a Brother/Singer/etc Japanese machine you control the tension with the dial on the knitting carriage and the dial on the tension mast.

Designaknit is a software computer program that is loaded on my laptop. I then connect the Laptop with a USB cable to the knitting machine.

Best wishes
Valerie

·
Registered
849 Posts
Does anybody have any patterns for something to get back in to knitting on my machine. I have A double bed Silver Reed machine and have just returned to machine knitting after A ten year absence. I gave my two machines away and all the patterns etc with them so any pattern that does not need too much concentration would be gratefully receieved. Many Thanks in anticipation Rene22

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I do this it is ALL math. First step is to know the gauge you are supposed to have for the HK (hand knit) pattern and get that gauge on your machine. I keep a notebook of gauge tests every time I work on the machine and usually it takes a few tries to get the correct gauge, but I make note of what each stitch size and tension combo produced with each yarn. I read over the HK pattern and make notes like this: I am working on a hoodie for my granddaughter. She is a Child's Lrg (according to the HK pattern) I got my machine gauge to match the gauge called for in the HK pattern. (The HK pattern says 6 rows = 1 inch) My machine gauge matches that. So when the HK pattern says work even for 18.5 inches, I multiply 18.5 X 6 =111. So from that point I work 111 rows on my machine (hopefully you have a row counter). This is how I work a hand knit pattern on my machine. Basically all math. Does anyone else do this?

·
Registered
693 Posts
ValT said:

Did you do the hooded sweater on the machine??? Can you please send the pattern ?? Please, Thanks, Sandra

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hi Sandra
I made the hooded sweater on my mid-gauge SK860.
When I am working from printed pattern instructions, I list the knitting instructions for each row in a spreadsheet. In this way it is easy to keep track of which row I need to be working on. I keep one eye on the row counter and one eye on the spreadsheet instructions.
The pic below is an extract of what I created for the 'In the Pink' knitting pattern.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Valerie

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
ValT said:
Hi Sandra
I made the hooded sweater on my mid-gauge SK860.
When I am working from printed pattern instructions, I list the knitting instructions for each row in a spreadsheet. In this way it is easy to keep track of which row I need to be working on. I keep one eye on the row counter and one eye on the spreadsheet instructions.
The pic below is an extract of what I created for the 'In the Pink' knitting pattern.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Valerie
This is very nice, But,... I don't know how to convert a pattern..This is why I asked for a copy of your pattern...Sorry for bothering you with this...Thanks, Sandra

·
Registered
693 Posts
kalebsgrandma said:
When I do this it is ALL math. First step is to know the gauge you are supposed to have for the HK (hand knit) pattern and get that gauge on your machine. I keep a notebook of gauge tests every time I work on the machine and usually it takes a few tries to get the correct gauge, but I make note of what each stitch size and tension combo produced with each yarn. I read over the HK pattern and make notes like this: I am working on a hoodie for my granddaughter. She is a Child's Lrg (according to the HK pattern) I got my machine gauge to match the gauge called for in the HK pattern. (The HK pattern says 6 rows = 1 inch) My machine gauge matches that. So when the HK pattern says work even for 18.5 inches, I multiply 18.5 X 6 =111. So from that point I work 111 rows on my machine (hopefully you have a row counter). This is how I work a hand knit pattern on my machine. Basically all math. Does anyone else do this?
Wow !! :) since you explain it like this, It sounds simple...Maybe I should give it a try instead of bothering other knitters with my problems in machine knitting...Thanks, Sandra

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom