Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started knitting recently, and feel very discouraged. Although I have completed a few small projects, I seem to make so many mistakes. I usually don't know what I've done or how to fix them. I try so hard, but then I see other people who have been knitting only a couple of years, who have created one gorgeous, complicated project after another. It's very discouraging! Is artistic ability required for knitting? Because, I don't have a shred of artsy/craftsy genes! Am I wasting my time?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hang in there It is not a lost cause. Utube has a lot of videos that show you how to knit. I just got the book Knitting for Dummies at Books a Million and I have been knitting for many many years. About 55 to be exact. So don't give up and just keep trying and use your computer. Google can help with anything you need and also use the videos on utube. It's not hard.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hang in there....I am also afraid to make mistakes, because it scares me to death to try and fix them...I always have to start over. I walked into our local yarn shop and asked the question..."do you ever teach classes on fixing mistakes". They kind of laughed and said they never had before. A couple weeks later, I looked on their web-site and guess what. A class was being offered just what I asked for. I signed up for it along with 5 other ladies. I took the class this week and learned a lot in just 2 hours. I've been practicing making mistakes this week and trying to fix them. Some I do, some I don't. Ask if someone at your LYS can help you. I bet you, just might be surprised at the help you will recieve. The moral of this story...don't give up.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( If you DIDN'T feel this way, it would be unusual; So, you're in the norm. Those other gals may have had one-on-help. Libraries may have craft groups; Give yours a call. LYSs can help, too, as a rule.

Frogging and fixing is tough and hard to discribe the how-tos, sometimes, in text.

If I were you, I'd buddy up to an advanced begining knitter here on forum. Work in private messages, e-mail of even in live chat.....or on the telly.

We have 2500 minutes per month on our land line and don't use them!!

So, I'd be your knitting buddy. Send me a private message via forum (click on my user ID = e.ridenh), then we can get to work.

We're meeting with our broker today from 11-1 ish; CDST. We'll be back when we're back, eh? LOL!
~~~~~~
lmr923 said:
I started knitting recently, and feel very discouraged. Although I have completed a few small projects, I seem to make so many mistakes. I usually don't know what I've done or how to fix them. I try so hard, but then I see other people who have been knitting only a couple of years, who have created one gorgeous, complicated project after another. It's very discouraging! Is artistic ability required for knitting? Because, I don't have a shred of artsy/craftsy genes! Am I wasting my time?

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Talk a deep breath - relax. Have fun learning the process. We all make mistakes.
There are so many individual techniques that are unique to each person.
The tension you use ...is it tight or loose knitting?
Even the way you hold the needles influence your final product. (to name just a couple)
I have to hold my needles in my hands like I am using a knife to cut meat.
Even your mood will influence your progress.
Take it slow when doing the stitches, speed comes later when you are more comfortable in the craft.
I have faith in you. You will get the hang of it.
Keep practicing.
Don't set your goals Too high, people tend to set themselves up for failure when they do.
Keep us informed on how you are progressing.
Good luck and happy crafting.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My 13 year old neice can not make the regular knit stitches so she made up her own stitch that combines knit & purl in one stitch. It works for her. you just need to take your time relax & must of all have fun & don't worry we all make mistakes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
what I did when I first started knitting,and crocheting. I bought a book that had both methods and started making squares and then later stitched them together. Every new patterned I tried no matter if tension was good or was sewn on i called it my learning curve lapcovers.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think the key for me is to be willing to rip and tear....never try and rush a project...they adopt their own speed...find a pattern that works and repeat it.....for instance i like to make sox....you can always pick them up and set them down when you get bored.
P.S. I have been knitting since I was 12..self taught and I rip and tear A LOT becuase sometimes I have to SEE IT to understand the directions..

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have been knitting for a long time. This sweater i just finished took 2 years and 5 rip outs. Everyone started laughing with me saying that this sweater was suppose to be made perfect and got the wrong person to do it. So i decided I was going to be this person. Dig in there and show this yarn and pattern what you are made of.. DON'T GIVE UP

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've only been knitting since the beginning of the year, but everytime I make a mistake I learn something new. Everytime I learn something new, it opens up doors to projects I didn't think I could ever learn. Embrace your mistakes, they're there to teach you a new skill!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
lmr923 said:
If you have a problem , this is the place to ask for help.
Keep trying, you will surprise yourself, no genes required!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a magnet on my locker at work that says "A mistake is just another way to do something".......but truly, it isn't when something turns out perfectly that we have given ourselves an opportunity to learn. Watch a toddler learning to walk someday. True, they are closer to the ground than we are when they fall....but fall they do. Over and over again.

Making mistakes are a part of life and a part of learning. Have faith that you are learning with each mistake you notice and attempt to fix. Seek help, there are lots of hands here willing to help.

And remember that the Amish who make such beautiful quilts ALWAYS include one mistake in each quilt. Because they believe only G-d is perfect. As humans, we are expected to make mistakes and then attempt to fix them.

This is more of a life principle than just a knitting issue. But I have had to work on the need to be perfect in so many areas of my life, I use these thoughts to keep me from just sitting in a corner and not attempting anything new or tough.

Karen

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
lmr923 said:
Hi, I am new to knitting also (about 3 wks) and was feeling quite the same way until I found this site and saw a link here for videos on how to knit: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips. After viewing those videos, I found the KnitWitch on Youtube.com. I like the Knit Witch because she keeps the work in the video the entire time, she explains thoroughly, and makes it all look so easy. Try her out. Here is a link to her knit stitch explanation:
There are others. After viewing those two sites, I finished up my three projects and now I feel like a Knitter! These and other sites are like having a private tutor. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lots of good advice from everyone. I've been knitting since I was a child, but could only knit men's socks. My first jumper was an ambitious Fair Isle and I must have ripped it out about 10 times before I finally got it. I was told that a mistake was just a learning opportunity. Stick in there :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
when my daughter started to knit she would hold the needles so tight that she would then pull the work closer and closer. you should see the items she can now knit. dresses and of course socks. practice makes perfect but after 45 years i still laugh at little errors that i see when i finish an item. most people would never find this spot. the reason we knit is the love of the craft. do not let any little mistake put you off a life long loving obsession.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom