Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16,345 Posts
I'm working on a felted bag right now that's in fingering weight, but I think either would work well. The main thing would be to make sure you have a needle size that knits the yarn up loosely enough to felt properly (this pattern calls for a size 7 needle with the fingering weight--I might use a 9 or even larger for DK, depending on how dense the finished fabric should be). I've used both sizes (DK seems to work better for hats, while worsted makes good felted slippers).

So, I guess I've taken the long way round to say whatever strikes your fancy should work, as long as it's wool! :)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Fingering weight is great for embellishment. If you have a knitting machine you can run material and felt it to cut out flowers, leaves, circles, etc. I knit up several colors, one after another, so I can cut bicolored shapes. When I finish knitting, I whip stitch the edges with crochet cotton to prevent them from felting into a curl. You can also knit a type of Icord on the machine. Cast of 6 to 8 sts and knit a cord as long as needed. When felted, it will lay a little flatter as the edges will curl together to the middle, no sewing necessary. It will not be a fat round cord, but makes an excellent purse strap

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom