Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made a little purse for one of my granddaughters.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/suzzanes-purse
I didn't do the beading, but want to put a knitted flower on the flap of the purse. Never done any felting before and wonder if I felt the purse and flower separately and then sew the flower on? Or do I need to sew the flower onto the purse and felt it all together? Or is either way OK?

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
impatient knitter said:
How do you felt a purse? I'd love to make one, but I haven't the foggiest idea on how to go about felting it!
From what I understand of the process, I put it thru a cycle on the washing machine, then dry it in the dryer for 10-15 minutes until it is felted. May take a little longer to felt a bit more. This is an experiment, so I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks to all of you about felting the pieces separately. That's what I will do. :)

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
janielha said:
From what I understand of the process, I put it thru a cycle on the washing machine, then dry it in the dryer for 10-15 minutes until it is felted. May take a little longer to felt a bit more. This is an experiment, so I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks to all of you about felting the pieces separately. That's what I will do. :)
I wouldn't put it in the dryer. That could put permanent creases in it. When it has been spun in the washer you will find it isn't very wet, just damp. That is the time you form it and let it air dry. Most things I stuff with squished up plastic
bags. They are easy to push into corners, etc.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joy Marshall said:
I wouldn't put it in the dryer. That could put permanent creases in it. When it has been spun in the washer you will find it isn't very wet, just damp. That is the time you form it and let it air dry. Most things I stuff with squished up plastic
bags. They are easy to push into corners, etc.
Thank you, Joy and Chickkie. I'll just wash it and use the plastic bags and then see how it looks. I appreciate all the help I've found here! You're all wonderful!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tendebrock said:
You need a top load washer and something to create friction so the wool will felt. Some recommend old blue jeans, others use old towels. This will not work in a front load washer.
Uh, oh. May need to borrow my Mom-in-Law's machine. Ours is front loading. And I thought this was going to be fairly simple! :) Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
I do this in a front loader all the time. I can open the door on my machine during the cycle though to stop it if the article is felted as much as I want it to. Be sure to put your knitted piece in a pillow case or something like that so you don't get wool fuzz in your washing machine. That can plug things up.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Don't use towels for friction! Towels shed a little bit and the fibers from the towels can become trapped in the felted item.

Put your item to be felted in a zippered pillow case, use jeans, sneakers, tennis balls for friction.

I design felted hats. Check the felting progress every 5 minutes or so. Use very little detergent.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
impatient knitter said:
How do you felt a purse? I'd love to make one, but I haven't the foggiest idea on how to go about felting it!
First off, you need to make sure that you knit or crochet it from a wool that isn't treated to make it superwash!

After that, you simply make an item (best to start with a pattern designed for "felting") and then treat it the way we were taught NOT to treat fine wool items ;) You wash it in hot water with lots of agitation, so that it shrinks down and resembles an item made from felt.

The internet is full of tutorials and directions and tips and tricks, as are many "beginner" felting patterns. :)

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much to all of you for the great advice. I just need to finish the flower(s) and start the felting process. Again, I truly appreciate each one of you!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Actually it's not "agitation", it's friction that aids in felting.

Felting is more than merely "shrinking"...the fibers of the wool "change" and FUSE, not just shrink.

Felted fibers feel very different than fibers that have just been "shrunk".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom