Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m so sorry for the delay in updating this fascinating story, I know many of you have been so interested and so supportive in how we’re doing.

Quick story so far: Surrogacy is totally illegal in Australia so we had to seek a surrogate program elsewhere. We found a good clinic in Thailand. My daughter’s surrogate was implanted on April 25th with 3 eggs. (My daughter’s own eggs plus husband’s sperm). One egg took but my daughter was so on edge (seeing she had 40 year old eggs) that we really haven’t been able to get too excited till now.

Last week we received the results of the triple screen test and they seemed really good, she had an obstetrician here in South Australia check the results and he thinks the results are good enough not to risk amniocentesis. Yay!

The surrogate is now 19 weeks with a due delivery date between the 7th and 11th of January. We also just found out that there's a 70-80% chance it's a girl.

I’m looking forward to booking our flights to Thailand to spend some time there after the birth. They’ll be there for up to 2 months to get passport and legal documents in place.

It’s a criminal offence in some of our states, to bring back to Australia, a baby born by surrogacy overseas. I have read where this could affect Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban, as their baby ‘Faith’ was born to a surrogate in the USA.

It’s such a can of worms, my Son in Law works in a Catholic School and he’s been already informed that he faces instant dismissal if his story gets out to any of the parents and they object. It’s against the Catholic ethos to have a baby by surrogacy.

Oh the pain of it all, just for some desperate loving people to have a baby to complete their life. Adoption is equally as difficult these days with long waiting lists and age is factored in too.

I will continue to update for those of you who have given me lots of support but we’re now hopeful that all will be well, and my daughter is even delaying her hysterectomy with the view to possibly going through it all again when in Thailand for the birth of this baby!

One step at a time!

Have posted pics of what I've made for the baby so far under pictures.

Leanna x

·
Registered
18,401 Posts
Hooray! May God bless your daughter, her husband and their baby. Yes, this baby is theirs, biologically as well as spiritually. If God gave us the brains to figure this out, and the heart to carry it out, why do law makers think they have any say in it?

·
Registered
32,656 Posts
It makes you wonder why law makers, and politicians and others feel they have the right to have a say in it. I have a surrogate great niece and great nephew --They are wonderful and the boy is now studying medicine and hopes to become a surgeon. This sister is a champion swimmer -- wonderful kids. makes you wonder why people insist on pushing their own agendas.

Good luck to you all -- I will think of you and your new Grand baby!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Your family sure has had a hard and long road to have a child. This child will be well loved. All your pain and problems will we forgotten the first time you look into that babies eyes. I have felt your pain, our daughter had cancer five years ago and was told she would never have a child. I had many a night trying to help her accept the facts. Well God had a different plan for her. She had a baby 13 months ago, the doctors still dont know why, but I DO IT WAS GODS WILL. I will pray for you and your family and look for updates soon.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Leanna, Praying all will go well for everyone in the end.
Congratulations to all. I also hope there are no legal problems. Please keep us updated. We are so excited for you. Good luck to you all. I think it is fantastic news.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone, so comforting to know that there are people like you out there who actually understand what we've been through.

Can't understand the law that is in 3 of our states. The perpetrator was a woman! I'm surprised it hasn't met with more disapproval.

Our daughter is most concerned that the law might creep into the other states in the next 5 months.

I also have to say that I don't understand why we aren't allowed surrogacy here. Only if the person is unpaid and does it for altruistic reasons in which case it would have to be a sister, cousin or close friend. Not everyone has one of these to assist and my daughter's friends are all in the same age bracket or above. It's a big call for anyone to offer to do this!

Our Thai surrogate is only 23 and already completed her own family. I was, however, surprised to learn that she had already given birth to a surrogate baby only 7 months prior to being implanted with my daughter's eggs. They're only allowed to do 3 pregnancies so I guess she's getting in quick!

Leanna x

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grandma Jan said:
Tell your son-in-law not to worry about the job. There will be another one for him out there and in the meantime he can enjoy his family.
Thank you Grandma Jan. He is actually going to take about a year off to stay at home and help with the baby.

He will be quite happy to pick up the odd Temporary Relief Teacher's job (substitute teacher) at $A400 a day. He also, along with my daughter, have become dive masters (something they took up when all seemed lost with the IVF attempts) so he would perhaps like to go overseas and teach diving for a couple of years.

He is also a wonderful chef (and high school teacher) and does beautiful embroidery. Embroidered my daughter's wedding dress, so I think he will find something to do in the future.

Leanna x

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I think it is wonderful that your daughter and partner will get to have their dreams come true.

I can understand why the law was put into place but at the same time I feel for the couples who want a child but cannot conceive.

There have been very ugly cases where a woman thinks she will be able to surrender the child only to find that in her heart she cannot. The child ends up suffering in addition to the the couple and the surrogate mother.

It is a very controversial topic. I am interested in knowing if it is less complicated emotionally for all if it is a relative who is the surrogate.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
christine4321 said:
I think it is wonderful that your daughter and partner will get to have their dreams come true.

I can understand why the law was put into place but at the same time I feel for the couples who want a child but cannot conceive.

There have been very ugly cases where a woman thinks she will be able to surrender the child only to find that in her heart she cannot. The child ends up suffering in addition to the the couple and the surrogate mother.

It is a very controversial topic. I am interested in knowing if it is less complicated emotionally for all if it is a relative who is the surrogate.
In some ways I think that being close could complicate things. Our Surrogate has completed her family (a requirement to even be able to enter the surrogate programme). She only had a baby 7 months before my daughter's eggs were implanted. She can only have one more.

Remuneration wise, she will have enough to educate her children and perhaps even buy a house.

I've been seeing stories on TV of late where some of the surrogate's in India refuse to give up the babies. They also (husbands usually) demand more payment because they say their wives are not accustomed to carrying 'big' western babies.

The clinic we are using is very professional and above board. You don't see a dozen pregnant women sitting around waiting for the births. Our surrogate just comes to the clinic when required and goes home in between. The women used by this clinic are also not forced to do this as is the case recently of some of the pour souls in India, where their husbands force them to do it for the money (shame!)

It's a very controversial topic. Some believe these ladies are being exploited. Completely illegal here in Australia due to all of the moral issues and issues raised here.

What do you do? Couples who are getting older face dilemmas when adoption is almost ruled out with huge waiting lists and age comes into it too.

3 of our states have legislation in place to be able to charge women who go overseas and seek surrogacy, with a jail term and a criminal offense laid against them.

We have much legal documentation and don't believe for a second that the baby won't be handed over but I have heard of many cases where what you say is the case.

Will keep everyone posted.

Leanna x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom