Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Ravelry to find an available free pattern and couldn't see how to get it. I know there is away to get them. I have noticed that are sometimes that you just tap on the free pattern sign and it downloads.

·
Registered
20,496 Posts
toomanypatterns said:
Could it be the DUDESTER SCARF?
That pattern calls for
cast on 48 sts
Rds (1) & (2) slip 1 purlwise, knit to end
Rds (3) & (4) slip 1 purlwise, knit2 {(k1, p1 k3) 6x} to end of row.

Repeat Rows 1 to 4 to desired length
Violation of copyright. You can post a link, but not the pattern.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
jemima said:
Amazed at all these copyright threats surely theres far more important things today to worry about .
OH YES for sure;
grammar police, spelling police, posted in wrong section police,
The list is endless.
Copyrights is one of my pet peeves also.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
In defense of copyright:

I have a book in print, fairly inexpensive ($5.00). Used it for teaching a class, one page in particular was important for that class.
Stupid: I'd left my stack of books at home.
Took my copy next door to have some photocopies made of that page. Clerk refused, due to copyright - I needed permission from the author. I asked him for a piece of paper and a pen, wrote on it "I, Esther.... give (this store) permission to make 12 photo copies of page 15 of the book (title), published in (year)." Signed and dated it and even included my home address.
Then whipped out my driver's license and handed that and the piece of paper with the book to the clerk.
He studied it quite carefully, then grinned, and made the copies!

Copyright starts the moment you have created something: written a book, designed a pattern, taken a photo, etc.
It seems of no consequence if we copy a pattern for someone else, or copy a photo from the internet because it is just right for our scrapbook page....
But I'm curious to know how much money is actually lost to owners of copyright by using what they have created, without payment. I don't mean to one author/creator, but for everything used without permission.
I'm sure it runs into millions of dollars each year.

BTW - copyright law applies to free patterns, books, etc. in the same way it applies to items for sale!

Even for little things, you will not find me making a copy for someone else - they can buy their own.
Call me picky, childish, whatever... It's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Esthr

·
Registered
20,496 Posts
Cashmere-Cat said:
Sometimes it seems to me that copyright is downright rediculous!
Anyone could have made that pattern up in their head, and probably did.[/quot

The person that made the pattern up in their head, is the one that holds the copyright. I don't care if it is a two row pattern, they own the rights to it. I guess it is okay to steal someone's pattern, free or not.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
threadgal said:
I went to Ravelry to find an available free pattern and couldn't see how to get it. I know there is away to get them. I have noticed that are sometimes that you just tap on the free pattern sign and it downloads.
Sometimes there is a link that takes you to another site where the pattern is not a download, but simply a web page...often Knitty patterns are listed on Ravelry and only have the pattern on their web page...and there are many others that work the same way.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
fortunate1 said:
Cashmere-Cat said:
Sometimes it seems to me that copyright is downright rediculous!
Anyone could have made that pattern up in their head, and probably did.[/quot

The person that made the pattern up in their head, is the one that holds the copyright. I don't care if it is a two row pattern, they own the rights to it. I guess it is okay to steal someone's pattern, free or not.
Actually designers patterns are not automatically under copyrite, unless it has truly been copyrited.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
JTM said:
Actually designers patterns are not automatically under copyrite, unless it has truly been copyrited.
If anyone makes any kind of a mark, that mark is copyrighted to that person. That is what I am referring to.
You copied my quote, and I yours. Now do you see?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Under the search bar, you can find "Advanced Search". Click on it and you can find all kinds of filters (craft, type of yarn, project, etc.). The filter for Free patterns is under "Availability".

I was disappointed when they redid the web site and I couldn't find the filter for free patterns, but it's there if you look long enough.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
JTM said:
Sorry, but that is not true! The very moment you design a pattern, or take a photo, or write a book, you own the copyright to what you created.
Proving that fact may be a different matter and therefore it is advised that you register the copyright as it gives better protection if/when you want to sue someone for stealing your copyrighted pattern/book/photo...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Even if a pattern is free, the author often earns income when you visit the online pattern page (from advertisers, I believe). This is why you should obtain the pattern this way. By the way, Knitty usually has a "printable view" on their patterns that you can print, and Print Friendly works very well for other webpages.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If the author posted it free, then she or he does not care about who uses it, they just want the credit....SOOO how about you just give the credit to Mary Smith and make a copy of it and share...that was her intent or she would have not given it out for free. NOW if I pay for a pattern then its not right to take that money from the creator. So buy your own....And an internet free posting is just a world bulletin board...posted for whoever can find it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom