Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how can you tell what ply wool you have it is a very fine wool from ( frame Trend )gauge is 26 st. to 4 in. and 37 rows on a 3 mm needle I can not see how many strands there are
I was going to make a circular scarf in linen st but I started it and you could not even see it was a linen st. so now I just do not know what to make with it anyone have any suggestions Thank you

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just want to clarify, the number of plies may not be significant if the individual plies are very fine. For example, you could have a 4 ply knitting worsted or a 4 ply sports weight just because of the difference in the plies. You could do two strands, but that might not work so well in linen stitch. Swatch it and see. Sounds like you might have lace weight yarn.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Under "Links and Resources", Take a look at "Chart for Yarn Weight and Gauge". Maybe it can help you.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
jeanbess-Fame Trend is a Marks and Kattens yarn but their website didn't give the ply numbers. By the picture, it looks like a two ply. Check on Yarndex.com and see if they list it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I too would knit a lace pattern, wispy, fine scarf perhaps. We can find many heavier yarns on the market, but the wispy ones are not as plentiful, so I'd enjoy having something in a finer weight for a change. Even a simple lace pattern could knit up into a beautiful accessory ... scarves & cowls are "hot" fashion accessories right now (even for summer wear!!)

·
Registered
907 Posts
emjaspina said:
Just want to clarify, the number of plies may not be significant if the individual plies are very fine. For example, you could have a 4 ply knitting worsted or a 4 ply sports weight just because of the difference in the plies. You could do two strands, but that might not work so well in linen stitch. Swatch it and see. Sounds like you might have lace weight yarn.
True, but in some countries, eg Great Britain & Australia, yarn weight is defined in ply numbers.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight
kat

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
In the US lace weight is 2 ply, light fingering is 3 ply, and fingering is 4 ply. I found this info on Ravelry. If you belong to Ravelry you can catalog your stash and it then tells you what your individual skeins are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom