Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sock pattern that calls for 2 strands fingerweight held together throughout. Can I use 1 strand DK instead? Will it be the same? I'd rather use DK or sport weight. TIA, Paula

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
Gauge might also tell you how the sock would feel. I have one sock out of sport weight and it does feel different than the fingering weight socks. If you have tender feet, might not be good. Be sure whatever you use has 20-25% nylon or other strengthening fiber or the socks will get holes in short order. Ask me how i know.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
The definition of dk weight yarn is two strands of fingering weight held together as one. Therefore, you can substitute dk for two strands of fingering weight held together.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
susanmjackson said:
It could work, but not all yarns are created equal, so a swatch is the best idea to get what you want.
Yes, and all yarn is not intended for socks. Nylon in sock yarn is what gives it lasting power. I do not want to spend time and $$$ on something that is not going to last.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
Woodsywife said:
Thank you everyone. I never swatch for socks. Got a little time yet, have to finish what's on my needles now.
Learn to "knit to fit" for socks, then you can knit socks in any weight yarn and needle combination you choose. Just know that socks that use sport, DK, or worsted weight yarn will be thicker and probably not fit in shoes. They may work for boot socks or slippers..but surely not great in shoes.

The free pattern that taught me how to "knit to fit" is Lifrstyle Toe Up Sock pattern, bonus: no W&T shor nrow heel. Another pattern, not free, but only $1.00 is Fish Lips Kiss Heel, available through Ravelry.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I just posted that Little Knits has the Regia sock yarn which is equal to a dk weight yarn on sale. It is the 6 ply and they also have 4 ply. It would be much easier to knit with one strand instead of 2 strands

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
This is exactly what I would imagine, may be slightly thinner but the variation may not be of much consequence, a swatch would tell you but I hate swatching
RoxyCatlady said:
The definition of dk weight yarn is two strands of fingering weight held together as one. Therefore, you can substitute dk for two strands of fingering weight held together.

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
Ive held sock yarn double strand for socks for my husband he only liked thicker socks and in dark colours....i had to play around with stitch count to get the size right, I started my toes a few times until I had them right, after that it was easy....i really should have recorded my details as he needs more socks.....i will have to sit and work the stitch count out again, of my memory I think I used 46 stitches....i started with 16 (8 each needle for magic koop) then increased every 2nd round until the right size

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Woodsywife said:
I have sock pattern that calls for 2 strands fingerweight held together throughout. Can I use 1 strand DK instead? Will it be the same? I'd rather use DK or sport weight. TIA, Paula
You still might want to do a swatch.
Best to you on your project. ????

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom